Can a Peace rose be red?

casi(5)May 7, 2012

I purchased a "Peace Rose" from Michigan Bulb in 2007. I remember posting somewhere on the web site that I had done so and was at first told that it probably wouldn't bloom the first year, which it didn't. The next year I was told that I got ripped and that Michigan Bulb was one of the worst nurseries because the Peace Rose really didn't belong in zone 5 unless I tried to give it some winter protection. I was going to dig it up and send it South with my daughter but never got around to it. I didn't worry when my goats did a little trimming on it over the winter. But, to my surprize, since we had such a mild mild winter it got buds on it, tons of them. I have been away from home for a few days and to when I got home it was all opened up and it is RED. What a disappointment. Would love to hear what you all have to say!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
particentral(8)

It sounds like the Peace rose died and the rootstock, Dr Huey, took over and grew. Its a pretty rose, blooms once and is prone to all types of viruses.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

It probably is the root stock but if it does rebloom later on in the season then it's something else and may just have been mislabeled.

Please, don't let people convince you that you can't grow HTs in Michigan. It's not true.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™