knockout roses

crdavidMay 10, 2014

My knockout roses are full of blooms and the branches are so heavy that they are laying down on the ground. What can I do to prevent this in the future

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

I have one small one, and it is doing that too. I am going to leave it alone to see if it roots from those branches.

Jackie

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 12:02PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Go to a place like Home Depot--they have several different kinds of plant supports. I sometimes use the single branch/flower support to hold up a couple of the top-heavy branches. But if the whole plant is falling down, get some of those wire fences --about 2.5 - 3 ft tall and put it around the entire plant.

Hope that helps.

Kate

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 4:18PM
shel-co

I bought a knock out rose bush about a week ago from a gardening store Took it home,dug a hole in my flower bed were it gets good sun soil and room to grow i put a starter plant feed in and around the hole i dug before i covered the base or roots of the rose bush.within three days ALL the flowers dried up and died also most of the leaves at the bottom I am very sad this is the first thing i ever planted What should i do ):

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:48PM
shel-co

I bought a knock out rose bush about a week ago from a gardening store Took it home,dug a hole in my flower bed were it gets good sun soil and room to grow i put a starter plant feed in and around the hole i dug before i covered the base or roots of the rose bush.within three days ALL the flowers dried up and died also most of the leaves at the bottom I am very sad this is the first thing i ever planted What should i do ):

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:52PM
mzdee(6b)

Shel, I think you should leave it alone and let it get adjusted. I have 2 and I have never ever done anything to them. They get brutal mid day sun and the only water they get is from rain.. They bloom profusely right through the fall despite my negligence and clay soil. Be patiient and let it be. See what it looks like in a few weeksk

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 11:30AM
shel-co

Thank you very much ...The roses will grow if they are kinda in the shade right?

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 2:41PM
seil zone 6b MI

It depends on what you mean by "kinda in the shade". Knock Outs will pretty much grow anywhere. The thing is they need the sun to bloom well. If they're getting at least 6 hours of sun a day they should be fine. Anything less than that and they may grow but not bloom.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
First blooming bud of my first rose - Livin' Easy
Getting ready to show her colors
dixonticonderoga
Think I might have done a bad thing to my rose....
Hi All, I have a rose bush that was given to me, I...
rhoder551
Deja Blu vs Dr. John Dickman
I have and like very much Deja Blu. It looks similar...
Maryl zone 7a
Heritage Rosarium?
Is this rose garden still opening for visits around...
sujiwan_gw
Is it just me or is RU shipping really late this year?
Now, I will admit that I didn't place my order until...
kingcobbtx9b
Sponsored Products
Tudor Rose Stepstone
Home Decorators Collection
Traditional Thermostatic Shower System, Rose, Handshower & Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
Cherry Bluemist Jewelry Box
Fifthroom.com
Personalized Butterfly-Print Cosmetic Case
$90.00 | Horchow
Triple Rose Wall Art Set
$17.99 | zulily