Snow Thrower: Stand Alone or Attachment

onthebrinck(6 Central New Jersey)September 12, 2010

I own a year-old Craftsman Tractor. So, I was intrigued by the idea of getting a snowthrower attachment (+/-$1200 with chains, weights etc.) Up until then, I'd had my eye on the Troy Bilt Storm 3090 (+/-$1100). I've got a 100 feet of driveway, a 4-car parking pad and 250 feet of sidewalk and path. Last year's snows were some of the worst ... and with the summer we've had, my luck says this winter will be worse!

What's your opinion? Thanks, guys!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

We have an Ariens snowblower, & it does a good job on the driveway and sidewalk. There is very little wheel slippage, even though the driveway is on a grade. Some people using garden tractors with attached snowthrowers have problems with grades, so this might be an issue, depending on how steep your driveway is. You have quite a bit of area to clean up, so I suspect that the tractor with snowthrower combination would be faster.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 12:50PM
ewalk

Ont: Snow-blowers can be hard on the Transmissions of Small Lawn Tractors. Check out Your Model thoroughly before buying a Blower which might damage your Unit. If you are in good physical condition go with a Top Line Manufactured Snow blower . I have been using a walk behind for yrs and always have my Drive (Horseshoe) done before my Neighbor with his Cub Cadet Tractor and Blower , with a lot more maneuverability and less hassle . It's more or less up to your climate and obstacles within your clearing area IMHO.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 5:03PM
exmar

Having had both I'd get a walk behind-period. More maneuverable, set up to start in below zero weather, and will go a lot of places a tractor won't. Also, there's the major aggravation of taking off the mower and installing the blower every fall with the reverse in the spring.

I've lived in Northern NY (Oswego) and didn't see any tractor mounted throwers there and that's major snow country.

Another consideration, I've had to dig out tractors when they went off the driveway or whatever, never had to dig out a walk behind. You'll probably also find that a walk behind (dual stage) will throw snow further than a tractor mount.

You mentioned a Craftsman tractor, is it a Garden tractor-large rear wheels? If not even though Sears may say a blower will fit, you're asking for trouble.

Good Luck,

Ev

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™