Leaf & Lawn Vac's DR/Mighty Mac or other

bob259September 17, 2010

Hi, I have a 10-15 year old Troy-Built Leaf & Chipper vac and can no longer get parts for it e.g. collection bag, transmission cable, suction nose piece. See that DR now has changed from the Billy Goat unit they had in the past and went to the MacKissic Might mac unit.

Any user feed back on these units and availability for parts after the warranty period? Hate to spend over $1K on another unit like the Troy-Built only to be stuck because you can't get parts anymore.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
idaho_gardener

I can't offer a comparison because, like you, I searched this forum for recommendations and ended up buying a new Mackissic Mighty Mac 12PT10. It was expensive, but I really do love it.

I've had it for over a year and I've learned its idiosyncrasies. Wet stuff will need dry stuff added to prevent the hammermill from clogging. The belt needs to be monitored to keep it tight. Other than that, it's a beast. It chips branches up to 3.5", and it shreds very nicely.

I have an acre with vegetable beds and with enough trees for this to be a useful device. I'm actually looking forward to fall clean-up so that I can produce another pile of mulch/compost. One nice discovery is the use of ramial mulch produced by this device, an unexpected bonus.

The Mackissic has useful features like reversible hammers that allow you to turn the hammers around to get fresh, sharp edges for the hammermill. Mine is on a four wheel cart that I hook up to my lawn tractor to move it to a worksite. I lay down a tarp when it's on the lawn and grind up a bunch of stuff, then it goes directly to where it gets composted or used as mulch.

I would consider a Crary Bearcat as an alternative to this level of chipper/shredder. I do see Mackissics on Craigslist from time to time, but the availability is better in the spring than the fall.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™