Weedeater GTI 17 xp line timmer - auto feed ?

rkpattSeptember 7, 2009

I was recently given an old but rarely used Weedeater GTI 17 XP curved shaft gas line trimmer by a neighbor without the manual. I changed the brittle fuel line and it started right up and runs great . However, I am having a problem with the "SensorFeed TM" automatic feed line head . It doesn't seem to feed properly . I have double checked the routing of the line accord to the diagram inside the head and found that I have done it correctly . Maybe there is a part missing or broken (like a spring ?). Would someone here familiar with those Sensor Feed trimmer heads please

give me some advice. Manual ?

See pictures in the link below.

- Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Weedeater GTI 17 XP line timmer head

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tvissoc

I know this is a late reply, but I think you've got it right.

If I understand the function of the sensor feed head correctly, it feeds once the tension on the line reduces, which is a result of the line growing short. If you use too heavy a line, it will never feed, or will only feed a bit. If you use too light a line, it will continuously feed and empty the spool quickly.

I tried using the new spiral line, and because it is actually lighter, it used up a nearly full spool in minutes. I replaced the line with the standard .080 round stuff, and it is now behaving.

I'm considering replacing the head with something more modern, like the bump feed type.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 2:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rkpatt

Actually. it was very timely reply as I was about put this machine out for a "curb alert donation " . I will see if I can scrounge some samples of different sized line and try them first .

I see the consumer gas trimmers that need minor fuel system repairs for free (or close ) and I will just get another with better feed mechanism .

I landscaper friend lent me a more powerful Stihl trimmer with an aluminum Oregon head with manually installed 0.155" line like the the "trimmer mowers use" . That is Overkill for most people . That worked well for edging and cutting some small brush , If my trimmer had more power and was used a lot , I might consider buying one of those heads .

- Thanks

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Building storage shed on a terraced slope
Is it safe to build a storage shed occupying two levels...
Thomas Lu
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™