Front border flower suggestions?

ptwonlineMay 10, 2014

I'm looking to stop using so many annuals and instead using more perennials for the front and to a lesser extent the middle of my borders. But for that I need things that will flower for long periods here in my Zone 5 (Toronto) and in full sun. Preferably non-invasive.

I have a variety of different beds and companion plants and colors so almost anything will likely work in a spot!

RIght now for border edges I am using:
Dianthus (Cheddar Pinks)
Scabiosa Pink Mist (Dwarf Pincushion Flower)
Nepata Walker's Low
Various Daylilies
Rock/Wall Cress
Iberis (Candytuft)
Hardy Geraniums and Cranesbills

Other suggestions?

Is there anything similar to Alyssum except as a long-flowering perennial? That is the effect I am going for with the Iberis and Rock Cress edging but those do not flower through the summer. I was looking at Baby's Breath but I read that it is very invasive.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)

I'm probably way off here, but a few things that popped into my mind:
Meadow Sage
Coreopsis
Mini Roses
Campanula Bavarian Blue - 6 inches
Asters

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:00PM
babera(5a (Montana))

I have sweet woodruff as a new comer this year (planted last summer late) and I am loving it, it has a nice mounding habit, does well in my semi sunny bed as well as a bright shade bed. It was blooming (small clusters of white flowers) when I bought it last year but not sure if that's normal or compliments of the greenhouse I got it from. It's blooming right now. It was one of the first to show signs of life this year. I even divided it to have in a few other beds. It reminded me of alyssum, that's why I bought it.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:09AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Most Coreopsis are extremely long blooming. Sweet woodruff can become quite aggressive. And keep in mind that plant shape, texture and foliage color will keep a bed interesting even when nothing at all is in bloom. Large leaves "read" better than lots of small leaves.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 6:32AM
shadeyplace(7)

Yes, the woodruff will take over the perennial bed. small hostas, campanula porscharkiana (sp), corydalis, astilbe, heucheras, calamintha, stachys humelo, carex, hellebores, hakon grass.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 7:49AM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

The sweet woodruff will not bloom all season, and as it is a groundcover, will spread. I think it is a beautiful plant - love the foliage as much as the blooms - but I would not use it as a bed plant (I have it in my woodland area as a groundcover.)

I'm having a hard time thinking of perennials that will bloom as long as you'd like, and agree with laceyveil regarding foliage and texture, etc. One plant I have along the edge of some beds is geranium biokovo. The foliage is quite nice, IMO, and turns a nice bronzy color in fall as as well. In some of my beds it can get a bit ratty in high summer, but I neglect my gardens an awful lot.

Ah, I just read back through your original post and see that you already have geraniums. Sorry! Although I still think this is a good one! :)

For full sun, some of the creeping sedums may work. I absolutely love creeping sedums, especially the ones that turn reddish in fall and are fairly evergreen. However, depending on the bed the soil may be too rich. Perhaps give one a try and see? Just do your homework - some of them are fairly aggressive (while my kamschaticum is not spreading nearly enough for my purposes!)

Dee

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™