'Do-It-Yourself' Root Feeder?

yardman45750September 29, 2010

I have heard people talk about building a root feeder from PVC pipe. The reason I'm interested is that I don't particulary need a fertilizer component...just a way to get water to the roots w/o runoff. Laying a hose within the dripline of trees doesn't seem too efficient. Plus, I'd like to build some and give them as gifts for Christmas.

Would appreciate your ideas/instructions!

Thanks, Ohio Yardman Z6

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masiman(z7 VA)

I'd vote for something direct or indirect. I can't think of another way to do it.

Direct would be a probe of some sort that you stick into the ground and pump your fert and water into.

Indirect would be some sort of traditional irrigation. I think the most efficient would be a slow or drip irrigation that would soak into the ground rather than running off.

Any number of ways to accomplish both. PVC appears simple but the bore sounds large. The commercial root feeders have an oversized needle type applicator. Municipalities often put bags that hold I'm guessing 5-10 gallons of water around trees that release the fluid over days I assume. I'm not sure if they can adjust the flow rate or if it is fixed by the bag material. You can easily purchase a drip irrigation system but you have to put up with semi-permanent tubing to the plants.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™