A Stake Through The Heart?

denninmi(8a)March 17, 2013

Ok, I am getting really sick of having to upright many of my large potted trees that I line my driveway and patio with during the summer. Storms or just windy days tip many over, even though they are in containers about 24" to 30" diameter.

I think I am going to stake them. Through the root ball and bottom of the pot would be less obvious, but better along the side of the pot to avoid hitting any larger roots?

The on-concrete guys will need a different approach, probably weights in the pots of some kind.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

only for you denni

took me 30 minutes to find the pic ... no comment at the staking effort ...

but those orange posts .... were used.. by the prior owner for an electric fence ... about 3 to 4 feet long.. maybe 5/8 inch rod .... triangle at the bottom to step on it.. to push it in..

flip over.. insert down side of pot.. straight out the bottom drain hole.. perhaps two on the sides dealing with the prevailing winds... WILL HOLD ANY POT UPRIGHT ... though i never took a picture of such ...

no idea what to do with the driveway ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: another 5 minutes.. i dont know why they need to be steel.. it was what was free in my barn ... i suppose any stout bamboo rod will do it.. but these wont rot ... perhaps its the thin-ness compared to length .... due to such.. they should slide right past roots ...

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:11AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

here is my other method .... for smaller pots.. pretty self explanatory ...

i got these nursery totes somewhere ... hard to find these days ....

but the trick is making a solid mass out of a bunch of smaller mass ...

and i think. part of your problem is the round pot.. i am sure.. you have seen larger trees at the nursery in large wooden SQUARE crates ... the totes do the same thing.. using a non-round base..

your base issue.. consistent with your title.. is that you need to go straight thru the heart of the root mass.. note i slide down the pot edge.. inside .... there is no reason to kill it like a vampire .. lol ..

ken

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:44AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

den, when you decide what to stake them with, spray paint them black. That will make them disappear in the mind's eye. Even green will stand out more than black.

As for the containers that you have sitting on concrete, I guess that ballast of some sort will be required unless you construct a square frame that you can slip over the containers. I assume that you're interested in aesthetics, right?

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
3 trees, 3 options...your thoughts on the best route
As you may have read in my other posts, I will be planting...
johniferous
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™