When should I plant this rose?

lovemysheltie(5/6 Chicago)May 6, 2012

Hi guys, I could use some advice... I usually purchase own-root gallons from mail-order nurseries or 2.5/5 gallon grafted roses from local nurseries in Chicago. Most of my roses come from my favorite nursery Anton's, which sells super healthy, vigorous growers like my pot of Gold Medal on the right.

However, my favorite nurseries didn't have DD this year and I had to go buy it from an overpriced nursery I'm not hugely fond of :P My question is: when do I plant the Double Delight 2.5 gallon on the left? It has decent leaves and fat canes but not much height up top. Should I leave it potted for a fortnight and then plant or go ahead and plant right now?

Also, I should mention that I plant grafted roses deep (bury the bud union deep) so if I do that with DD, I won't see anything above the ground :-( Help pls? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I would say to plant it at the same time you plant that beautiful Gold Medal. But I'm not sure you'd want to plant all the green leaf below the soil level so I don't know what to say. It looks like you only have about 6 to 8 inches of cane there and all the new growth is at the very bottom. You may want to keep it potted for a while until you get more top growth. However, in your zone you also want to get it established in the ground as soon as possible because your season is short. It's a good question! I hope maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:58AM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

If you plant the bud union deep, plant as usual but leave a depression around the bush so the canes are exposed. I presume you do that for winter protection? as the canes grow taller, you can fill in the depression. You'll have all summer to do it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 6:31PM
seil zone 6b MI

See, I knew someone would have a better idea! Thanks Karl!

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:53PM
lovemysheltie(5/6 Chicago)

Thanks Karl! That sounds like the perfect solution! :D

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
K Mart Roses
They had an ad in the Sunday paper and we were going...
seil zone 6b MI
What Should I Plant?
I need help deciding on a climber or rambler rose to...
hello459
How to Take Cuttings...
We are officially moving Monday, and as I walked the...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
For Love of Roses
I received my order today from For Love of Roses. ...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Crazy about Rose Buds!
There are times during this new season of roses that...
sara_ann-z6bok
Sponsored Products
Tulip Bundle & Bucket
$9.99 | zulily
Hide Tablet Case by Tom Dixon
$200.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Black/Gold 5 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Jaipur Poeme Rodez Transitional Oriental Pattern 8 ft. Wool Tufted Rug - RRD0180
$810.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Maroc Zahara Flat Weave Geometric Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - RRN011010-0
$177.00 | Hayneedle
Yellow Flower Garden Side Table/Plant Stand
$59.99 | zulily
Campania International Rio Round Planter - Set of 3 - 94-008-1803
$749.99 | Hayneedle
Large Rock Owl Planter
$24.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™