When to transplant corkscrew willows

andreavermeulenMarch 12, 2010

Hi There,

I need to transplant 2 large (approx 8m tall) corkscrew willows and would like to know when is the best time for this. I stay in Gauteng, South Africa and we are approaching the end of summer but it is still pretty hot, we do get a bit of frost round about june/july.

I didn't realise how big these trees get when I planted them and need to relocate them seeing that they are to close to water pipes and drains. I would also like to know, when I dig them out can I cut some of the roots?? It is planted next to paving and I am worried that the roots have grown underneath the paving.

Please advise, thank you!!!

Andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iforgotitsonevermind(♪☺♫)

Ideally when they are dormant. It's ok to cut roots during transplant.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 8:26AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

in general.. willow roots rather freely ... google PROPAGATION OF CORKSCREW WILLOW ....

i would root up a bunch.. and then be done with a 26+ foot tall tree .... or two

is that really within your physical capabilities????

ken

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 9:52AM
gardengal48

I agree with Ken - these are awfully large to attempt to transplant easily. Too much work!! Willows do root extremely easily and there is still plenty of time before they go dormant to stick a few cuttings into the ground and have them take. Usually it is only a matter of a few weeks before they root.

You should know that if you remove the existing trees, just cutting them down may not solve your problem. Most willows, and corkscrews in particular, will resprout readily from the stump. And even cut trees without any noticeable new topgrowth may continue to produce roots that can invade plumbing. A corkscrew that was removed from my old property created a plumbing nightmare nearly 15 years after its removal. Best to dig out the stump and as much of the root system as you can manage.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 12:28PM
andreavermeulen

Thank you for the advise!!

I've decided to try and transplant the trees(luckily we've got lots of hands to help)as well as to root some for back-up.

Have a wonderful day, we just had lovely morning showers and the sun is shining beautiful now.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 3:43AM
More Discussions
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™