Espalier pruning

ninaweedsMarch 28, 2009

Hello, This is my first post, and I was hoping for some advise on pruning a Bartlett pear espalier I planted last year up against a south face wall of my home. When I purchased it I was instructed briefly. I know any branches that extend anteriorly should be removed. I have read that any water shoots should be removed also, but i'm not sure what a water shoot is. The tree shape has 3 lateral branches extending from both sides. The tree did produce 3 pears last year, and looks to have established itself well over the first year. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Espalier pruning is advanced pruning and very rewarding. When I lived in Europe, one of the pleasures of traveling was to see the trees trained up the sides of buildings...sigh...um....ahem.

Water sprouts are, technically, latent buds - buds below the surface of the bark. It is easier to rub off the buds you don't want as branches as they break than letting them grow 2 feet then pruning. You'll get used to it.

An excellent book that has instructions and lots of fun how-tos as well is Sears Step - by - Step Gardening Techniques Illustrated

Dan

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 10:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ninaweeds

Thanks Dan for the info, I have always been facinated with espalier,and decided to get me one! I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one, I just don't want to kill it. I don't have any knowledge of pruning, but seem to have good instinct so far with common shrubs and bushes.It's raining today, but I'm looking forward to going out tomorrow and looking for some water sprouts to remove. Nina

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
Indoor Dogwood Tree
Hi, I'm looking to grow a dogwood tree indoors in our...
timandpao
Girdled Tap Root?? What to do??
Sorry if this is wordy, the tree experts might be able...
pricklypearsatx
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™