Compare Wheel Trimmers

redmudSeptember 6, 2008

I am looking at line trimmers on wheels, such as DR, Echo/Bearcat, Swisher, Poulan, and Craftsman.

Please let me know what you think about these brands and others you may have used.

Also, is a Beaver Blade safe to use?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nod702(z7Tenn.)

I have an older model DR trimmer that i picked up at a yard sale a couple of years ago. It had been abused so i had to spend a few bucks to fix it up. Has the 5hp B&S engine. After i was sure it would be what i wanted, i ordered the new style trimmer head for it. Have been very pleased with it. Primarly used for heavy weeds and vines. I do see a lot of the Poulans returned to Walmart, not sure about the others you mentioned. By the way the new DR trimmers are high dollar.

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 9:19PM
bas157

I've got a Craftsman one that works great. It was I think $25 at a yardsale since they said it didn't work. I got it home and it started up with a little priming. I like using it much much more than my handheld trimmer. The line is so much thicker and lasts alot longer even compared to the .105 line in my handheld. I also don't get my legs/pants plastered with finely chopped debris.
I do see similiar items on craigslist so if you don't mind used, keep an eye out there on or ebay.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:53PM
shortlid(Derry, NH)

Yep, DR are a well made machine. They have some end of year sales here at the store in Southern NH? Don't know about your area. DR also sells factory refirbed units now.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 3:58PM
blueberrier1

Have a 20 year old DR trimmer and now use the 'knobby' line, which seems to cut the tough weeds so quickly. Per DR reps' suggestion, keep the line refrigerated! My only complaint is the inefficiency in oil changing. Not sure if new models have improved engineering. Would enjoy a narrow model to go betweern the raised beds as the hand held Stihl gets tiring. Have never seen one on CL.

Have used the Beaver blade without problems some years ago.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™