Echo GT-225 Trimmer

leeave96(VA)September 19, 2010

I am looking for a lightweght string trimmer that my Wife and teenage kids can use when I am out of town on business travel.

Easy to start, lightweight and a very simple to refill string head.

I found an Echo GT-225 at Home Depot for about $169 and looks like it would fit the bill. It is lightweight, looks straight forward to use and I like Echo dependability. Though for myself, I like a tap and go string head, I'd like something more simple to refill and this echo has a pretty slick head that you simply insert a pre-cut piece of string into the head.

Doesn't look like you can adjust the carb, but that doesn't concern me to much with an Echo product.

Any thoughts on this trimmer, operation, reliability? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Bil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

I have an older Echo I am very happy with, it is a good brand. Try a speed feed head, a Shindaiwa design, on the Echo. Loading is a snap, more convenient than constantly stopping and re filling the Kwik Feed. Oregon also offers it with multiple adapters to allow mounting to most brands.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 3:03PM
evdpgh

I bought the SRM-225 at Home Depot last year. This is their lowest priced straight shaft trimmer. Mine has the u-turn head. So far the head works well and is extremely easy to reload. I think both the GT-225 and SRM-225 have the same 21.2 cc. engine. It is extremely powerful for it's size and runs well so far. The whole machine seems to be well made. I think I paid around $235 or $240. including tax. I did not have to spend more to get what I needed for my purposes (grass and light weed trimming).

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 7:01PM
ewalk

Has to be one of the Best little Trimmers out there for the Buck !

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 5:29AM
glenam

I would recommend ECHO anything to anybody.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 12:21PM
wdtdude

I highly recommend the Echo GT 225 Trimmer. I almost bought a 4 cycle trimmer but this trimmer is light & has a lot of power. It is simple to operate and so far, is very reliable. I have a lot of weeds close to a creek & this trimmer plows right through them. I like the trimming head & personally do not like bump & run heads. Follow the directions before starting & you are ready to go. I bought at Home Depot & the machine was already assembled. I liked that a lot. I also notice that you can purchase .085" string & cut to proper length which is a cheaper way to go rather buying pre cut string. This is a solid machine & at $169 it is a very good buy. It even came with safety glasses, 2 cycle oil & extra string. String loading into the head is easy. I like!

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Is the attached a sign of Red Oak with a fungus, Etc and dangerou
Is the attached a sign of Red Oak with a fungus, Etc...
loger_gw
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™