Which Dicentra varieties to choose?

linnea56(z5 IL)May 27, 2013

IâÂÂm looking especially for white, but also would like a clear pink in the classic large âÂÂheartâ shape. I saw some blooming in a public garden that had kind of a wimpy color.

I am getting ready to go to an out of state nursery in about 2 weeks. If they are not blooming (and they might be done by then) IâÂÂm not sure how to tell, unless I know the right botanical name for the ones I want.

Also which kinds are ephemeral, vs. the ones whose foliage persists? IâÂÂm not sure which route to take. In a bed where I have a lot of hosta ephemeral would be fine. I always wonder about my Virginia Bluebells leaving a hole when they go away but then the hosta seems to fill in.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

I absolutely love 'Goldheart', a gold-leaved form of the common Bleedingheart. It does not seem to go summer-dormant as easily as the species.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 7:28AM
gardenweed_z6a

I love D. spectabilis 'Alba' growing in my full shade bed but right from the start planned on it going dormant early in the season. It's just too absolutely gorgeous not to plant. I surrounded it with other shade-loving perennials, including Carex 'Ice Dance' & Hosta 'Krossa Regal' so there are things that conceal the dying foliage once it goes dormant. It's planted on the north side of my house and is right out there to anyone driving or walking past on the road.

It's been my experience that the thread-leaf (D. eximia) bleeding heart varieties persist & continue to bloom right into the autumn garden (altho they're noticeably smaller than D. spectabilis) whereas the species can grow quite large--my DIL has a pink one that grows to about 3' x 3' every year.

D. spectabilis is also tough as nails--I had some construction done where one was literally growing out of a concrete stairway in full sun for years and, lo & behold, discovered it growing & blooming fully 15 ft away at the top of the stairway this spring.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 11:27AM
echinaceamaniac(7)

'Gold Heart' and 'Valentine' are superior to all others in my opinion.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™