'motorcycle batteries'

exmarSeptember 14, 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm referring to what I consider motorcycle batteries, the ones that are shipped dry, you then add electrolyte, charge and put into service.

How do they differ from the regulare sealed lead acid batteries I have in small tractors, etc.?

I have somehow became the "official fixer" of my nieces go kart which is a "POS" made in China, with no service info available that I can find. I've been able to keep it running reasonably well. The "motorcycle battery" that came with it died after 4 months, a replacement lasted 6. The alternator is putting out about 13.2Volts. I'm wondering if I can simply put in a sealed lead acid like the one I have in my GT which starts a 26HP Briggs even in single digit temps in the winter. The go kart engine is a single cylinder, I'm guessing about 10 HP.

Vibration, etc. isn't an issue as they drive it only on hayfields with minimal to no bumps and the battery would be firmly secured in any event.

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

I'd say yes to your question. Voltage is the same, no matter what battery you take it from. Amps might be a cause for concern. Ask at a battery dealer. Not Sears or HD! Those people will admit that they believe the moon is made of green cheese, if they think they can sell you something!
I have a motorcycle battery on a snow blower, for the electric start feature. When i found out how much the electric starter/house current would cost, it got converted!

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Woodzig electric pruner
I have a Woodzig electric pruner and use it often....
ranger_ric
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
Sponsored Products
30" White Pine Cordless Christmas Wreath Christmas Decor
$69.95 | FRONTGATE
Chopper Ride n' Tire Swing
$99.99 | zulily
Flock of Butterflies Clock
Design Within Reach
Revolving 6-photo Display Cube
Overstock.com
Omnia RGB-LED Illuminated Side Table/Stool by Domitalia
$825.12 | Lumens