Craftsman Model 917.293490 Rear Tiller Transmission Seized

craig-refSeptember 20, 2013

Greetings Tool Shed Bloggers -
I took my 293490 transmission apart and found the small chain had busted. Unfortunately, the pictures of dis-assembly were erased Does anyone have better schematics than the Sears parts diagram, or pictures of their dis-assembly?
Thanks, Craig

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

If that model is the one with the stamped tin transmission case---ya might as well "bite the bullet" and realise you made a mistake, and go out and buy a better make of tiller. They weren't made to be fixed, only to give ya more scrap to take to the scrap yard! JMHO-Rusty Jones

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 10:18PM
the_0utsider

Did you disassemble everything or did the parts just fall out when u opened it?

Can u post pics of your parts and we can help from there.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 1:05AM
ggoyeneche

Do you have a PDF of the Owner's Manual. I had a similar Craftsman Tiller and had to get into the transmission. I found that with a PDF, I could blow up the transmission diagram to 11 x 17 (ledger size) with good results.

Using Sear's Parts Direct has really poor diagrams, and I had the same problems you are talking about.

I have the manual for 917-293490 in PDF. Email me if you want me to bounce back a copy.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 1:59PM
craig-ref

I reassembled the Craftsman tiller and it works fine, except the tines don't rotate in rear direction when the tiller moves forward. I had all gears out and did not notice any damage upon inspection.

It shifts easily across the "transport only" gear selection range of F, N, R. When placed into "forward direction - tines rotate in reverse" the times rotate but the tiller does not move forward. Moving the gear selector one more over to "forward direction - forward rotating tines", the tiller works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks Craig

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™