Electric Chain Saw Oil

1saxmanSeptember 13, 2011

I have a Craftsman electric chain saw that works great, but since I also have a gas saw it hasn't been used in years. I have forgotten what kind of bar oil it takes - regular bar oil or motor oil? Anybody have a clue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

Sax either Sae.30 or light weight bar oil which ever is most convient will suffice for the elect. Model . I prefer light Bar Oil on all my Gas Power Saws.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 7:14PM
1saxman

Thanks - sounds good - I didn't know there was light bar oil. In the interim, I remembered that I stopped filling the oil tank and just used a spray oil on the chain years ago for some reason. I guess I'll pick up some light bar oil tomorrow since I need some for the gas saw anyway. After the recent Hurricane, I used the gas saw more in two days than I had in my whole prior life.
I realized that the electric is very stealthy and great for small jobs. The neighbors (and I do it too) come out to see what's going down (joke) when they hear a gas saw fire up. The electric just sounds like some kind of power tool. :)

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 10:20PM
ewalk

Yep Sax it otherwise know as winter grade "light" as compared to the Medium or Heavy Grade Bar Oils offered. I find it is much better for anti fouling even on my Gas Stihl and Husky units. Have used it also on my neighbours elect stihl for tree limbing (pruning) with a extention pole.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 5:37AM
lbpod

I have a Remington electric chain saw and I can't use
anything thicker than 30 wt. motor oil. The oiler is
a rubber thumb bulb, similar to the carb. primer
bulbs, but bigger. I made the mistake of using regular
bar oil when I first got it,(didn't read the directions), and it got all gummed up and I had a hell of a time getting it cleaned out.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 8:55AM
ewalk

Ibpod: Regular Bar Oil is Medium Grade Sae 50 . Heavy is Sae 70 and they use to Sell Commercial Xtra Heavy 90 weight back in the late 60's. If you get some Winter Grade light Bar oil (30 weight) you will find it is much has better cling qualities , the premium brands have rust inhibitors added . Nothing wrong with straight 30 mineral oil , that is what I used back in the early 60's as specified by the Saw Manufacturers .

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 4:58PM
1saxman

I guess I'd have to go to a real small engine supply to get winter grade. They definitely don't have special stuff like this at local HD.

Bookmark   September 14, 2011 at 8:06PM
ewalk

Sax: I have purchased light grade at Walmart over the yrs. Otherwise you can find it at any Chainsaw Dealership , you pay more at the Dealers but as I said the Premium Grades do have performance additives .

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 5:31AM
1saxman

Hey, I scored some SAE30W bar oil at Wal Mart - great tip. I'm sure this will be great for the electric, and I'll use it in the gas saw for cold weather. I like to keep my gas saw ready to go during the winter - we have ice storms sometimes that can bring down whole trees, and power will most likely be out at that time.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 5:22PM
ewalk

Sax: Good to hear Bro ! Yeah always a good idea to keep the saw ready for action in theFall and Winter mths. Lots of tree downages due to heavy winds and as you mentioned Ice and Sleet .

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Any Good Electric Brushcutter?
I have a small area, my lot is just 1/2ac and less...
InFlux
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™