my lilac shrub and dead branches

v1rtu0s1ty(5a)May 25, 2009

I have 6 lilac that are about 5' tall. I'm wondering why all of them have so many dead branches. I already saw this last year. I am not sure if I should cut it. But I also want to know the reason why those branches are dead.

Here is some info I recall.

It's located in south part of my property at the back. It gets sun from 9am until 6-7pm. It's 3 years old. It flowered the previous years and never missed.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carrie B

Remove the dead branches. Some die back is normal, especially during the first few years.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 7:29AM
remy_gw

A little bit if dead branches is ok. If you are getting a lot, something is wrong. Are your branches experiencing sudden wilt? If so, you could have lilac borers.
Remy

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 8:23AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

research pruning of shrubs .... which involves removing up to 1/3 of the branches annually ... the topic has been covered here ad nauseum ....

its the same for all shrubs...

a search engine like google will probably get you a couple million hits ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 8:27AM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

Ok. Is it a good time to cut it now? I guess it should be fine because those are dead. I'm going to scrape first to see if that dead branch is brown.

That means, my purplesmoke bush has also exerienced die back. It already has many leaves but the top still doesn't have any leaves as compared to my other smokebush.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 8:45AM
goodhors(z5 MI)

Top of smokebush might have died back from winter cold. It was a pretty harsh winter with lots of wind and cold.

I would trim out the dead branches on lilacs, check them to see if I could find signs of insects. If you want to do any other shaping of the lilacs, now is the time, right after blooming.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
Hey, I just remember I have...
globeflower! Totally forgot I have these, I was typing...
mxk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™