Purple leaf crabapple or plum and deer

greenhavenrdgardenMarch 26, 2012

I'm dreaming of planting both a purple leaf crabapple and a purple leaf plum. I love the leaf color and the flowers. I could care less about the fruit although if it provides food for the birds that's great. My only hesitation is that we do have deer. Am I sending them an engraved invitation to come. browse my yard by planting these trees? Are there any that don't produce fruit or fruit that is eaten by birds before having a chance to fall? I already have a Forest Pansy Redbud and really want to plant the other trees as well.

I am in the process of installing an invisible dog fence so my 2 dogs can roam my yards more often and hoping that that helps keep deer away. Should I take the chance?

I live in zone 6 CT. Thanks for any help or suggestions for alternatives.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Cherry trees and orchard apples are favorites, although I haven't in fact noticed much disappearing from purple-leaved plums and crabs on the same property. But deer do vary in their feeding.

If you don't want to gamble every time you plant something, to have that ax hanging over your efforts you really need to fence deer out.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
Trimming a ficus tree
I saw an ad online of someone locally selling their...
L A
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Help me identify stem/branch?
Hi, I just joined and am usually in the rose section,...
msdorkgirl
How far should Sassafras and Blue Spruce be from the road?
I have a tentative plan I started on in Spring for...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™