redwood roots persisting 15 years?

bebba1March 17, 2014

Is it possible that I am still ripping up fine (1/16" - 1/8") redwood roots from my rose bed, 15 years after my neighbor finally cut it down and killed the stump? They are like the (horror!) redwood roots I struggled with for years, but smaller; same fine, hairlike roots branching from orange ones. But they are growing 1-3" from the surface, in places I dug up two years ago! can severed redwood roots live that long, and still put out new growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

No. Un less it's resprouted from the stump, there's nothing to provice food and keep the roots alive.

You are seeing some other plant's roots.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 12:27PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Keep in mind that a tree's roots usually grow far beyond its canopy. So you might consider other nearby trees. Rough estimates of the size or tree root systems include 1. a radius of at least 2 to 3 times the radius of the dripline and 2. a radius of 1.5 times the tree's height or more.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:35PM
sylviaIvy

I am originally from the west coast near the red wood forest. Yes, a cut off root knot can produce new trees. In fact you can buy these knots from trees of mystery. If the roots you are speaking of are getting enough water to remain moist year round it will continue to grow in an effort to grow a tree again. My suggestion is to allow your rose bed to dry out a bit... or move them to a different location and allow the bed to dry out to hard earth state.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:45PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Sprouting a new tree is an entirely different thing than roots actively growing for 15 years without food!!!!

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
beating trees with a bat
it is said.. it will stimulate a struggling tree to...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Trunk Rot. Should I shovel prune or can this little JM recover?
shovel prune or is this something it can recover from?...
kjmm1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™