Bark-stripping mystery animal. What should I do? (with pictures)

viche(7a MD)March 5, 2010

Well actually the pictures are over in the Bird forum:

http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bird/msg031736163036.html?11584

I posted there, trying to figure out what type of animal had stripped the bark off 10 to 15 .5" to 1" diameter branches to build a nest in my 30+ ft little leaf linden.

In the end, we came down to two possibilities. The bark was either used by a Grey Squirrel to build a nest on the base of an old bird nest, or the bark was used as the inner lining of an American Crow's nest.

Either way, I was wondering what I should do. Do I need to remove the remainder of the nest to discourage further bark stripping? Should I try to get rid of the animal? Will just pruning those branches be enough? The tree is very dense and wouldn't suffer from pruning. It must have 500-1000 branches that size. It does suffer from aphids in the summer, which I've not gotten completely under control, but it seems otherwise very healthy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Are you sure those weren't dead branches to begin with? From what I can see, the damage is not life threatening to the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your link

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 12:26PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Looks very minor twig damage-dieback from here. Trees tolerate much worse than that.

Dan

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 1:57PM
viche(7a MD)

I think the branches were alive. I don't know that I'd call them twigs. Some of them are up to 8 feet long. There are approximately 20 stripped branches now that I look. Also, the tree is more like 35 - 40 feet tall. I think it's 20 years old.

I agree that it shouldn't hurt the tree too much, but I'm jsut wondering what I should do.

Do I need to prune off all those branches? What a pain. I would definitely require a ladder or some tree climbing.

Would you guys try to reduce the chances that the animal will do this to another 20 branches next time? If so how?

Thanks.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
Recent visit to Hirosaki Castle - Maples and Ginkgo
Video link: http://youtu.be/paMIiTiS2OU Japanese Maples...
jujujojo_gw
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™