It's Time To Sweep Those Chimneys.

loger_gwSeptember 16, 2012

It's Time To Sweep Those Chimneys. With only 6' of 14" Dia pipe to sweep and approx 5' of firebox to sweep (including taper to chimney. I dread the chore yearly. The soot sweeps off with no real resistance.

1. I just need to get over the chore but I still question the need when it seems as a harmless flake vs resistance in the 14" pipe.

1. I have tried to ignite some of the debris and it would not.

3. I burned one creosote removing log this past winter. I feel I see layers flaking off before sweeping vs fuzz and lumps that I swept off in the past.

4. Would you agree that build-up is normal and yearly cleaning is not needed if less than 1"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chas045(7b)

Loger, I always assumed that you burned a lot of hardwood. I certainly did too but I also included a significant portion of softwoods as well. For many years I was using a Franklin fireplace which is practically the opposite of a modern sealed unit with 6 or 7" insulated flue. I never had any oily or sticky or thick buildup. I only cleaned every few years. The closed modern unit didn't respond differently for me, but I was burning a lot of softwoods then to use them up before I moved.

My understanding was that the main problem came from slow controlled burning. Since I see your 14" pipe, I assume you are burning with an old fashioned stove, even if more efficient than my Franklin. If it is not tightly sealed, I would expect your burn to be hot enough to prevent serious buildup. But It might be worth googling air tight stoves and creosote before you through caution to the winds.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:46PM
loger_gw

The Chimney and Box sweep was no challenge except chimney to box trips (that challenge my legs).

1. I Swept the 6' of chimney with a stiff 18" broom head clamped parallel to 2" PVC (a 14" dia pipe brush in the future).

2. A short handle broom works well in the box with a box fan pulling up the chimney.

3. It's always the thought and mess vs the actual work that I hope to reduce yearly.

4. What is the best source of getting rid of the approx gal of soot (reg trash sealed)?

Note: I'm burning 90% Oak and Pecan with very little softwood as starters if pecan is not considered soft. I keep the damper 3/4th closed (just to eliminate int smoke) or all the heat goes up the 14" pipe IMO. The 14" pipe was due to it being a Double Faced Fireplace. I added a steel back with a steel 6" back-log, two, 2" stainless grate tubes connected and 7, 2" stainless tubes above the fire, all open to the back side. With the plate glass doors closed at night and ducted combustion air into the box, we get safe heat and good coals the next morning.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:45PM
andyma_gw

I let the Defiant burn wide open for about 20 minutes a week. But this is in a brick chimney with a flue liner. I do have a set of brushes and poles. I havent used them in ages. Makes a mess.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 1:14AM
More Discussions
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line?
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering...
loger_gw
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed on this Site
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed...
loger_gw
Sponsored Products
XtremeAIR PX02-W30/36 Extension Chimney For 11 ft Ceiling Height
eModern Decor
Cavaliere PSL 30-inch Wall Mounted Range Hood
Overstock.com
Montmartre Rue Norvins
$359.00 | FRONTGATE
Primo Roaster Drip Pan Rack - 2 Per Box - 333
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Produzione Privata | Bonne Nuit Pendant Light
$670.00 | YLighting
Westinghouse Lamp Shades 14 in. Handblown Clear Chimney with 3 in. Fitter and
$8.97 | Home Depot
Hurricane With Rhombus Optic Purple Glass Lamp
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Oil Lamp Parts 10 in. Handblown Clear Chimney with 2-5/8 in.
$5.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™