Am I spoiled???

ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)May 24, 2014

What's left of my garden after this past winter is getting ready to bloom. I think the garden looks like trash. Things haven't looked this rough since my garden was attacked by chili thrips back in 03 in Southern FL. I know what each rose is capable of and the quality just isn't there right now. Maybe later this year. Just venting gang. Not a happy camper right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I've been venting too. I don't even have buds forming yet so I have no idea when I'll see any blooms. I have already written off my spring shows. I just won't have anything in bloom yet by then.

But I am looking forward to being able to buy some new roses. That's the silver lining I guess. I've been maxed out for years now and there are so many I want to try. This will give me a chance to do that.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 11:26AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

You're not spoiled, you're understandably not happy with the situation. The spring flush is the highlight of the rose year, and it's a bummer when that's spoiled. Due to the drought I haven't had the customary explosion of blooms in the spring the past two years and it's been very disappointing. Your situation sounds much worse and I'd probably have a mini-meltdown in your place. I do hope the situation improves later in the year.

Ingrid

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:52PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

We have a Catholic Church with 40+ KO roses and over half of them look awful! Hardly any leaves yet etc...
A bad year for a lot of people.

Our two carefree sunshines are still small due to major winterkill then colder weather even through this month...

I prune our Dogwood bushes to the ground every 2-3 years in late March. I'm just now starting to see new growth start on them...

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 8:23PM
mori1(5b/6a)

Are we spoiled? Yes! Mother Nature had her way with us and now we are left to clean up the mess, literally. My garden beds look like crap, with my roses bed being the worst. I have room for at least 7 new roses plus a long list of other plants but nothing I've seen locally has impressed me. So to ease my depression I'm working on cleaning my lily bed. They should be blooming in a couple of weeks and hopefully I'll have it clean by then.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:57PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Not spoiled, just disappointed. Hopefully your garden can heal up from that terrible winter and come back strong and you will be happy again.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 6:11PM
buford(7 NE GA)

Ken, While I did have some roses bloom this spring, I did lose some, some had to be cut down to nothing and many are just blooming now. You are a little behind me, being further north and up in the mountains.

But I have to say, some roses have really come back strong. I had to cut many way back, my teas were down to the root ball and now most are covered with nice new growth almost 2 feet high. And some other older roses are putting out new canes like crazy. I guess they are happy they survived the winter. Have patience.. and remember, the GGRS show is in October!!!!

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 6:14PM
zack_lau

The weather change should be good for the CT Rose Show, which moved up a week this year, as many gardens were bloomed out by the time to the show. While the stems might not be as long, I look forward to seeing different varieties at the show.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 6:48PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Funny,
I've always thought fall bloom is our best. Spring is always a fight against weeds and weather.

Fall bloom comes more slowly, bloom sizes can be huge without heavy fertilizer (just cooler days) and better color because the sun's rays aren't as intense. Also no hail storms. No late Easter Freeze. No really hungry dear and their fauns. Slower caterpillars.

I guess Fall for the win.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
New DA plants arrived!!
I got home from work yesterday and there was a big...
bethnorcal9
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™