Need Acidic Potting Soil

brownthumb65(8B Florida)May 22, 2011

Good Morning,

I was wondering what I can use to make my potting soil more acidic? I am experimenting with Raspberries in pots and they seem to be growing nicely, but the older leaves are turning yellow all over. Veins and all. The new leaves are green.

The soil PH is approx 6.5-7.0

Thanks!

Halime

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gargwarb

If the problem was too high of a pH, you would see interveinal yellowing beginning with the youngest foliage first due to decreased availability of micronutrients.

Yellowing of older leaves could be a ton of different things like low nitrogen, over watering, under watering, root disease, etc.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:05AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There are potting soils for African Violets, Rhododendrons and Azaleas, Camelias, Orchids, and many other special needs plants. One of those will be fine for Raspberries and other plantws needed special soils. Just determine what the needs of your plant are and find one to match.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 7:46AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Peat moss is acidic. You could also add a little sulfur to the mix. No need to buy "special" mixes.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:04PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I agree with gargwarb about the most likely suspects. The potting soil you are using can contribute to watering issues, too.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 4:26PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I grow raspberries with a pH in the low 7s (in soil, not a pot). I, too, suspect the suspect is on gargwarb's list.

tj

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 5:57PM
brownthumb65(8B Florida)

Thanks for the tips. I think I might be over watering. I've got to get a handle on that. I do my best with sticking my finger in the soil the first few inches and if it feels dry then I water. Maybe the "way" I water is no good? I put them in shallow pots to catch the water flow from the bottom and then totally soak the plant for about 20 minutes then I lift them out to drain. They drain well, I also have screen to cover the drain holes so no soil runs out.
Halime

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 7:07AM
More Discussions
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
Patio Composting
Would like to start composting in a small patio area...
ecodonnell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™