What is the culprit?

peachymomo(Ca 8)May 20, 2014

I was happy to see a healthy new basal shoot on my Altissimo climber, until one day I went out and saw that this had happened to it:

What kind of pest does this? I'd noticed a couple of cut off basal shoots on other roses that had more robust growth so I didn't pay as much attention. Although the ones I saw before looked more like they had just been cut off, not hollowed out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)

Wind? Accidental foot traffic? Those new basals are so dang tender. Maybe critters rustling through your roses?
A rabbit would've eaten it...
Susan

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 1:41PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Squirrels have done this in my yard. Rabbits or deer too, or a stray cat or dog.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 2:29PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

Hmm, I think the picture doesn't really show the damage well enough. It wasn't broken or bent, something ate the center out of the cane. I cut the shoot off with my pruners because I was worried whatever ate out the pith might still be in there working it's way further down, but after cutting it off I didn't see anything. I think it must be some kind of boring insect, but I've never seen 'rose borer' damage before so I came here for independent verification.

Deer and rabbits have never been a problem in our particular area, too many dogs for them to feel comfortable I think.

This post was edited by peachymomo on Wed, May 21, 14 at 9:50

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 9:48AM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

That is freaky. I have bad borers, but they bore into harder canes, when they are more like wood. Mine go bonkers and bore for feet :(

Spinosad may be worth a shot, but I don't know what kind of borer that is. Definitely cut out and dispose of any canes like that, and I'd try several rounds of spinosad (just a guess at what might help, keep in mind). Make sure to spray it late in the day when the bees are in for the night, though. It's toxic to them until it dries.

I hope someone can ID what exactly is going on, though!

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:36PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

This kind of damage is not caused by the little bees and wasps that drill the cut cane ends. It is a beetle larva or sawfly larva. Check out "raspberry horntail," a western sawfly.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Small blooms on Marie van Houtte
I'm in Houston and we've had a very wet spring, lots...
humble5
RRD - witches broom? Knockout roses
Can any identify if this is RRD? About 25% of the bush...
CharNC
Systemic treatment suggestions?
Hello, In years past, I have used the Bayer rose 3...
ladriannec
Versigny Rose
Hello, I'm awaiting the arrival of my spring order...
twinkletoad
Belmont Yellow and Schmidt's Smooth Yellow
Somewhere there was a thread on these two roses, but...
Kippy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™