Tiny Light Green Bugs on Tiffany Rose Bush???

LindaMA(MA z5)May 27, 2012

I don't believe that these are aphids because they look like they have wings and you can tell that they are bugs, due to them being a little larger than the aphids. Aphids look like specs of green lint, correct? No these bugs look like they can fly but they are very tiny. Does anyone know what they are and should I be concerned? Also, how do I get rid of them?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Sounds like aphids.
Wash them off with a garden hose.

Jeri

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 11:57AM
charleney(8a PNW)

aphids

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 1:50PM
cecily(7 VA)

aphids ready to fly off and colonize another rose bush. Squish 'em or hose 'em off.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 3:33PM
LindaMA(MA z5)

For some reason spraying them with water doesn't send them away and they're still here after two days of driving rain too. I am now seeing them on my Distant Drums rose bush, what a royal pain they are. Is there anything else that might get rid of them. I have picked them off but they're back again the next day.

Would seven dust help? We have some in a tool shed, I really don't like using things like that but I really want to get rid of these things.

Many thanks for your help!

Linda

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 5:08PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

If you really want to get rid of them, use your fingers and squish. Or, more properly, slide your fingers gently around the bud--aphids are so soft that that will squish them. In a couple weeks, the good bugs will come along and eat 'em up. That will hopefully end your aphid problem for the year.

No, do not use sevin. Never use sevin.

Kate

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 6:04PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Unless you use a strong water spray, they will cling.

I hold the hose in my LEFT hand, while using my right hand to wipe/knock them off, while under the stream of water. It's a pleasant task, on a hot day.

Using an insecticide to kill aphids is like using a cannon to kill houseflies. The intended victim may be killed, but the collateral damage is horrendous.

Sevin dust is toxic to bees, and thus should be avoided. If you avoid the use of non-specific pesticides, your garden will attract beneficial insects and birds which will eat your aphids. Honest.

Jeri

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Questions about Blaze climbing rose
Hello. I am thinking of putting a Blaze climbing rose...
suz9601
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™