Gallardia flop question

bgaviator(7)June 30, 2012

I have noticed my Arizona Sun Gallardia has been starting to flop forward towards the sun lately......definitely not the most attractive. What should I do? Should I cut it back? Is it getting too much water maybe? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

mmm, mine flop all over the place but I just ignore it - it is in a giant clump and even though the plants fall over, the stalks reorientate themselves (vaguely) upright. If it really annoys you, try using peasticks or any other shrubby prunings as inconspicuous supports.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 3:39PM
duluthinbloomz4

Campanula - if you have the time... please step over to the Landscape Design forum and give us your perspective on ivy - yay or nay and if it's problematic in the UK. This has been a "hot topic" for several threads going back a ways now.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape design

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 3:56PM
duluthinbloomz4

Let's see if I can get this right!

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape design

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 4:00PM
linlily(z5/6PA)

My Arizona Sun is much, much taller this year than in previous years, and it also is flopping on the outside stems. As a matter of fact, almost all my perennials look like they are on stilts this year-I have no idea why. Perhaps the mild winter had something to do with it. My AS is finishing up its first flush of bloom and I'm going to dead head and perhaps cut it back a bit. Normally this plant blooms until the frost kills the flowers, so cutting it back won't keep it from later reblooming. I love this plant for the front of the border.

Linda

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 4:12PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

I have the burgundy gallardia and it has done that and I just cut it back. Will check to see if any new growth is happening on it or it shows that it is a tough flower.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
Welcome spring...
I usually spend most of my time on the Roses Forum...
bethnorcal9
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
What groundcover would you mix with Helleborus?
I'd like to plant a new bed of hellebores, but I'm...
magpiepix 5b/6a
Big Mistake ! Chinese lantern
I just wanted to warn those who are thinking about...
rodco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™