Grass squares into the compost pile?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAMay 4, 2014

We just dug up a small area of grass and I was about to put it in the compost pile and remembered that my grass has clover and violets, dandelions and probably a number of other weeds. I use a passive compost pile so it doesn't get hot. I also thought of turning it upside down in the pathways of my vegetable garden, but I don't want to take a chance something could live and creep into my beds.

But I have about a 3ft x 3ft pile of them and what would I do if I don't compost them? I just read the thread on Bermuda Grass in the Compost pile and while I understand that my grass is not going to be as bad as that, I thought I'd ask. The suggestion on that thread, was to pile it up on a solid surface in the sun for a couple of weeks to kill it and then use it in the pathways.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I tend to shake off all the soil I can and then spread grass out with roots exposed to light and wind, usually on the wire fencing that surrounds my compost pile. When the plants are nice and crispy, then I add them to the compost.

It is so moist here that I have found with the soil left clinging to the roots they start resprouting, even when left upside down on a hard surface. I guess you could leave it in a pile and then cover that with black plastic to keep it from getting remoistened or getting sun. It would be ugly for a bit, but you'd get some good composting going.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:53AM
luckygal(3b)

If you have a 3'x3' pile of them you could just leave them to decompose. Cover if you like.

Our pile of grass squares eventually became really nice soil.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:14AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Oh good, I'm glad I can eventually use them. Good ideas, thanks a lot! What's another ugly pile for awhile. [g]

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:07PM
pnbrown

The Nearings made most of their compost that way in Vermont. In Maine they used seaweed.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:10PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

The mentors of Eliot Coleman, right? I've seen a couple of videos with Eliot and the Mrs Nearing in it, but it's been awhile since I read Eliot Coleman's books. I used to watch the program Gardening Naturally with Eliot and his wife, but that hasn't been on in a long time. Thanks for that info.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 11:48AM
pnbrown

Yes, and the mentors of many others.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
Post hole filled with compost for deep soil conditioning
I am trying to find a way to fix my soil as deep and...
taylorjonl
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
How to prepare my soil (eastern PA)
Newbie gardener here going into year two. Last year...
mfran12345
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™