Consequences of irrigation running 48+ hours straight?

BlackAceJanuary 19, 2013

This is more out of curiosity than anything else. The sprinkler system for the green space area next to our house has been on since Wednesday evening (it is now Saturday morning). I walked the lot yesterday to take a look, and as you would expect, there is standing water on the sod, and pooled around the trees. I alerted the HOA yesterday afternoon, which they were grateful for and they said they contacted the landscape company to come fix. Being the weekend, I'm not sure what will actually transpire.

Aside from a water bill that I can't even begin to imagine, are there any consequences or potential issues due to this mistake? While it's not our lot, we do have a vested interest in how it looks since we paid a big lot premium to put our house next to it, and the way it looks is important to us in that regard. Additionally, any potential ill effects due to runoff that we might see in our lot?

Should I try to shut off the water at the street as a good citizen, or will that potentially cause damage to the system itself?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

BA
As long as they don't take too long to fix the problem, there should not be an issue. Except for the bill that the homeowner association pays for water which is in essence you. If this is a sign of poor HOA management and poor hiring choices, you can expect your fees to go up or be higher than other HOAs. Also, over-watering or unfixed broken sprinklers, if not fixed causes mosquitoes. If water is left standing more than 7 days mosquitoes will breed and proliferate. Good job in helping your HOA fix the problem but this should not have happened with quality professional landscape maintenance company. GL Aloha

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Problem valve
Hi, I have got a problem with my newly installed irrigation...
cozbell93
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
donkeypebbles
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Fertigation help
ok well not new to gardening or growing things as i...
bigpuddin43
Rain barrel with gutters that drain to sewer - can't alter gutters
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to...
astralsled
Sponsored Products
New Traditional Antiqued Persian Kazak 6' Octagon Red Hand Knotted Rug H3427
BH Sun Inc
New Traditional European Hand Knotted Red Kazak 8' X 10' 7" Persian Rug H3342
BH Sun Inc
New Carnelian Red/Ivory Geometric 3x5 Persian Kazak Hand Knotted Wool Rug H3451
BH Sun Inc
New Unique Hand Knotted Tribal Kazak 8x11 Veg Dyed Oriental Wool Area Rug H3652
BH Sun Inc
New Mesa Collection Red Kazak Runner 3'x10' Hand Knotted Oriental Wool Rug H3684
BH Sun Inc
New Red Tribal Kazak 9'x12' Hand Knotted Oriental Wool Rug Mesa Collection H3635
BH Sun Inc
New Traditional Geometric Hand Knotted Kazak 5'x7' Red/Ivory Oriental Rug H3420
BH Sun Inc
New 7' Octagon Hand Knotted Oriental Kazak Red & Ivory Persian Wool Rug H3424
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™