adding to a drip line

adobe1234January 31, 2012

I have an existing drip line (1/2 inch line of Rainbird emitter tubing) that runs around the perimeter of our house. I want to add some 1/4 inch feeder lines to extend the reach of the irrigation into the beds. From what I have gathered, I will need a hole puncher, barbed coupling, 1/4 inch tubing and a goof plug cap.

My question is what kind of emitter should I use? Should I use a "bug plug" instead of a goof plug to allow a drip at the cap? I see there are 1/4 inch emitter lines and mini in line drippers as well, but these do not appear to be pressure regulated. If you have some experience and can recommend the correct set up, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not enough info here but let me see if I can help abit.

First the pressure of the line is important. If this is a full pres drip line then getting mini spray heads will most likely work better than drip lines with a bug plug set up. This micro heads from Rainbird have a micro head on a stake (4-5" long is a guess) that attach to a 1/4" hose. Each micro stake comes with a adapter (double male coupling) that is attached to the stake. Break off the adapter and use pliers to hold the end that isnt sharp. Shove the sharp end into the hose you have and it should puncture on its own. If it doesnt then use an ice pick CAREFULLY to make a starter hole. Then attach a 1/4" tube to the other end and cut it as long as you wish.

If your tube around your house is a low pre hose (not likely) then your options become much more limited. Drip tubes with bug plugs emit VERY little water (typically mesured in gallons per hour).

Good luck,

    Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 8:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for your reply. I believe it is a full pressure drip line that we have currently.

From your description, I am think of ordering this microsprayer:

and this 12" Stake w/ 18" Vinyl Tubing & Adapter:

So it seems I will need to use a hole punch in the main line in order to insert the barbed coupler that comes with the stake.

Does this sound right to you? Or do you think it's better to get the Rainbird version.

Thanks again.

    Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 10:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Those heads will work this link will show you the ones I was talking about. Do you need 12" height? Just a question not really important. The ones on the 2nd row called Xeri Spray 360 was the head I was thinking of. One advantage is the local HomeDepot and Lowes carry these heads so you can go look at them. Not sure if your store will have them but it would be likely.

Good luck,

    Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 5:15PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Fertigation help
ok well not new to gardening or growing things as i...
Sprinkler to Soaker Hose/Drip System
My project to convert an existing sprinkler zone to...
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
Yet another request for help identifying irrigation valves
Anyone able to help me identify this valve? The house...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™