All new irrigation - which valves?

RoxySDFebruary 21, 2012

We have completely demo'd our front and backyard and are planning all new concrete, pavers, grass, and new [future] plantings. The entire area surrounding the house needs all new drainage and irrigation.

What products should I be asking my contractor to use for this work? I have heard that Irritrol are very good. I have read on here that Orbit are not good...

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

RSD,

I would ask the contractor to give you quotes that reflect several of the best brands and compare the bottom line. Ask him to explain the differences in the brands. Then report the gist of the discussion here and we can throw in our $0.02 to help with the decision. What's TIA!? JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 12:09PM
RoxySD

Hi lehua13, I understand that he uses Rainbird. I have heard from others that they are not good. I have heard that Irratrol are the best. Should I splurge on those?

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 1:57AM
mike1059(8)

in twenty-five years my experience is that irritrol is probably number three in overall quality. my personal preference is for rain bird or hunter for reliability and easy to understand, versatile controllers.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 5:10AM
lehua49

Roxy,

I agree with Mike. Hunter has always been the top for me and Rainbird is close second and most other well known brands are fine for residential systems and lower residential system operating pressures. Nelson used to be up there but not sure if it still has the old-time quality. It is all in the budget you can afford. My $0.02 is that correct and quality installation is what is important as long as you go with the more well known brands. Get references from your contractor and make calls and check the BBB. Also check the warranties. Aloha

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
2 foot break in sprinkler pvc line
I would appreciate your advice on what to use to repair...
ginjj
Need Suggestion about Iriigation System Pots
Have you heard of the eco grow pots or the irrigation...
Peter Jones
Irritrol RD900 Solenoid Chatter
Hi, I am trying to diagnose a problem with my sprinkler...
fullerlee
Problem valve
Hi, I have got a problem with my newly installed irrigation...
cozbell93
rainbird esp-rzx controller problem
After two summers of working normally, this year the...
MikeSanderson
Sponsored Products
Polished Copper Fish Rain Chain
Overstock.com
Mistress Mary Watering Can
| Dot & Bo
Modern Stainless Steel Watering Can
Signature Hardware
GARDENA Full or Part Circle Sprinkler on Base - 8135
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Antique Hammered Copper Watering Can
Signature Hardware