Buds turning brown??

flowergirl70ksMay 15, 2012

My roses have never looked better-in fact they look great all over town. Now the buds get a frosted brown look around the edges and are not very pretty when they bloom. does anyone know what is causing this? Some of my peonies did this too. The little mini's are not so effected.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Could be flower thrips. These tend to peak toward the end of the first flush and may subside, or not.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 11:54AM
rosetom(7 Atl)

Thrips.

If you want to do something about it, welcome to the world of spraying. I've tried a number of things through the years, but nothing seems to work as well as a two-punch combination of Conserve (spinosad) sprayed all over, along with finishing up with spraying Avid on the buds. This is done weekly. More often might work better, but I simply can't manage the task of spraying during the week.

The Conserve helps to keep the general population down, but it's not enough to keep the buds/blooms clean. The Avid is important. Its action is trans-laminar, meaning that it will penetrate through the multiple layers of the bud. That's the only way you'll get the thrips once they're in the buds.

I've tried everything else - imidacloprid, orthene, Conserve by itself, Avid by itself and even some other combinations of insecticide. Nothing works as well for me (and does less damage to beneficials) than the two-punch combination.

Rosemania has some new stuff called Naturalis, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 3:03PM
flowergirl70ks

Of course, I never thought of looking for thrip. It hasn't been a real problem here for me before. Thanks for the tips.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
cold hardiness of 'Leonie Lamesch'?
I am trying to figure out how cold hardy this rose...
jacqueline9CA
Best flower form shrubs
Hello! I've grown roses forever, and mostly hybrids....
imcheetah
High Country Roses review: pics of what my order looked like
HCR was so good with my order, I feel the need to 'pay...
laura242424
Versigny Rose
Hello, I'm awaiting the arrival of my spring order...
twinkletoad
Fire ants. Friend or foe?
I have fire ants here and there, but they seem to be...
jkellydallas
Sponsored Products
Chelsea Home Ambrose 5 Piece Living Room Set in Brandon Brown
Beyond Stores
Gateway Outdoor Rug - 5' x 8'
Grandin Road
Piper Brown Italian Leather Rocker Recliner Chair
Overstock.com
Indoor Area Rug: Amazon Tan/Brown 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Hand Hammered Copper 13-Inch Large Pendant Light
$119.99 | Bellacor