Transplant a section of Palo Verde root?

phxphun(Phoenix Arizona Zone 9)March 2, 2012

This Palo Verde in my yard appears to have grown branches from an exposed section of one of its larger roots about 5 feet away from the main tree trunk. I want to remove the 'extra tree', but I'm wondering if it would be worth my time to try to transplant the growth elsewhere in the yard. If I cut out this section of root and replant it, is it likely to survive?

Also, if anyone knows the specific name of this type of Palo Verde, please let me know. (I posted a larger photo of the parent tree over in the tree gallery). Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Branches growing from exposed tree root

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

I'm assuming the suckers are all the palo verde trunks in the picture. That looks like an awful lot of tree and an awfully big root to try to move. If you had a smaller sucker, not more than a few feet high with a much smaller root I think you could sever the root between the sucker and the main tree, then take as much of the root going the other way and move it and probably have pretty fair luck. Also probably best to make this move in the fall and give it a bit extra water to help the roots get established before the next summer. It seems to me that I have seen these trees sucker where roots are very near or above the surface and maybe suffer some damage such as some cut bark or such that stimulates new growth.

Your palo verdes should be getting absolutely gorgeous in a few weeks. Wish I could get down there over the next few weeks when they are blooming.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 3:15AM
More Discussions
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
where to prune these maples?
ugh what happened to GW?? anywho - need some advice...
skyjumper
Is this diseased?
This is a new young tree I purchased from Ebay. I planted...
rubyhum
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™