Drip Irrigation for container/raised beds

Anthony(7a)February 9, 2013

I have a small veggie garden, mostly herbs and some container pots for other veggies/herbs.

Not a lot by any stretch. Maybe 12 to 15 containers and one 4x4 bed right now. Eventually I'd like an 8x8 bed with rows, but not now.

This year I'm doing a couple peppers, cherry tomatoes, radishes, greens, and about a dozen herbs.

I wanted to try drip irrigation, as I'm on travel off and on and the wife doesn't share my hobby. :)

Any drip irrigation systems you all like for such a small install? I saw DripWorks and a few others had container kits. Also, a recommended timer that's reliable would be nice too.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying this!

Anthony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

arc,
Here is an interesting read from a past GW thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg0813510426468.html

Find the easiest local source for your system. Talk to local irrigation supply store reps for more info. aloha

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazytexan(9b)

I have a garden with about 10 raised beds totaling ~1000 SF including walkways. It is in the country and I only get there every couple of weeks so I needed an automatic irrigation system.

I purchased a six zone irrigation controller and located all the zone valves in an above ground valve box next to my irrigation well. I ran 3/4" PVC lines underground and installed a hydrant valve at each bed. Several beds were served from a single zone because I needed a couple of the zones to irrigate some fruit trees.

At each bed I used 1/4" dripline which has drippers spaced at 12". The driplines are long enough to run back-and-forth the length of the bed three times so that I get pretty even watering. Any bed that is not being used can be shutoff at its valve and the other beds on that zone continue to operate.

I also have one dripline that I run across a number of individual pots. I originally tried running separate hoses with drippers on the ends of the hoses to serve each pot. However I found that using a single dripline is much more flexible since I am continually adding or removing pots.

I originally used soaker hose but found that the hoses only last about a year before they become hardened from exposure to the sun and the water emitted becomes very irregular. They also break easily after they harden.

I also found that it is very important to filter the water to keep the driplines from plugging. I started using one of the small dripline strainer/filters which has a small mesh metal strainer to remove particles. However I still had plugging from the small sand particles that got through the strainer. I ended up installing a household type water filter with a replaceable paper filter. It is installed between the well and the zone valves and has worked great. I need to dump the collected sand every couple of months.

The system has worked great and I have been able to have a garden under less than ideal conditions considering how little attention I am able to give it.

Your needs are probably less but the same concepts should apply.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
rainbird esp-rzx controller problem
After two summers of working normally, this year the...
MikeSanderson
Avocado tree, brown on tip of leaves
The leaves on my avocado tree are turning brown. They...
dooger2
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
donkeypebbles
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor
I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture...
cdmanoise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™