Soil Salinity Issues

immobilus(9a)February 16, 2013

I'm having issues with salinity of my soil. Even with amendments, the soil appears to be doing harm to my photinia bushes. Interestingly, I have 6 bushes in my yard, the ones that never receive look final (south side of yard), but the ones on the north side (lots of light) appear to have either salinity issues or iron deficiencies. See the photo.

My garden hose is used to water all six plants, so I'm not sure whether water quality is contributing to the issue. Someone told me Epsom salt helps reduce soil salinity. I'm not sure if this is true.

How do you reduce the salinity of soil? Is there any amendments that I can use to reduce it? Gypsum? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

imm,

Have a soil sample analyzed along with your water source to see what your dealing with. When you have the levels of minerals identified then a recommendation can be given. Find out the make up of Epsom Salts and with the analysis you can see if that contributes something your soil is lacking. Is your soil sandy(fast draining) or clayey (slow draining)? Do you have a high water table or an clay strata of soil underneath your plants? What is your watering and fertilizing regime? It may be more than just a high salinity issue but a soil mechanics and irrigating issue. Aloha

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Rain barrel with gutters that drain to sewer - can't alter gutters
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to...
astralsled
First experience with irrigation system
Our builder installed, as a part of the "package",...
vlk20
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Irritrol RD900 Solenoid Chatter
Hi, I am trying to diagnose a problem with my sprinkler...
fullerlee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™