John Deere 425

bruce_knappMay 9, 2010

I'm having an issue with my John Deere 425 and oil consumption. It consumes around 1/2 quart of oil for the 2 acres I mow. Quite a bit if you ask me. I think the issue may be either the valve cover gasket or perhaps a cracked valve cover. One additional issue, when I replaced the mower blades (48" deck) with "gator blades" (seem much heavier than the standard high-lift deere blades) the mower starts fine but once the deck engages taxes the engine to such an extent it shuts down. Any ideas on either of these issues?????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zoulas

I can only speak for the first. There are two reasons for oil loss--1 is faulty seals and or piston rings. This will lead to the oil making its way down to the combustion chamber and getting burned along with the fuel. --2 is loss from gaskets like the valve cover, oil pan,. etc.. If you see oil dripping down the side of the engine, its the latter, If you find oil drops under the tractor after sitting some time, its the latter. If you lose oil and you don't see signs of oil out side of your engine, its the former. If you have 2000+ hours on the motor and you are unsure of how it was maintained through the years, you are probably looking at an engine rebuild in the future. with regard to engine stalls, it can either be the engine needing tune up or your spindles are worn and cause excessive friction.
The more you tell us, the more we can tell you. Did the problem with the engine stalling happen when you started using gator blades? Or have you been using them for years and it just started? Also, oil loss is gradual. I cannot imagine you just started losing oil after the last use of your tractor. Has it been happening for some time now? Has it been getting worse and worse? Do you see blue smoke when you run the tractor? The problems you are having are easy to determine (may not be easy to fix!).

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Craftsman riding mower issues
I have a Craftsman rider model 917.275820. I have had...
dqtmg4
Which lawn mower?
I posted this in the John Deere forum, but I'm wondering...
joe_ga
Briggs and Stratton 25hp els OHV help!!!!
I got a this motor attached to a mover off a craigslist...
H&M Contractors
What happened???
I logged in yesterday after a prolonged absence and...
romore_gw
Site traffic
Boy, sure no traffic here. Walt Conner
tinkerer200
Sponsored Products
John Richard Cameron Alabaster Block Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Royal-Pedic Latex Quilt Top Mattress and Box Spring Set Multicolor - LATEX QUILT
Hayneedle
Deer Me Wall Hanging
$189.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Red 12 ft. x
Home Depot
Virtu GS-6048-WM-WH-001 White Single Sink Vanity with Mirror and Faucet
Blue Bath
Rustic Bronze Sconce
$335.00 | Horchow
White 48-Inch Two-Light Standard Strip
$63.80 | Bellacor
Finesse Highback Office Chair in Brown