pruning

jeeper55(7)March 18, 2014

I have A crape Myrtle tree about 25 feet tall, i need to take about half of it off or take the whole tree out, any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

yes.. i have a suggestion ...

lets see a picture ...

i dont think anyone here advocates .. nor agrees with topping trees ... and removing the top half of a tree is such ...

what i dont know.. is if a CM can be cut to the ground.. and rejuvenated ....

in other words.. maybe there is another option ...

ken

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:09PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

You'd probably be better off removing it completely (be sure to kill the roots, to avoid a massive amount of root suckers, if you choose to do this) and replacing it with something more appropriate to the space. There are many crape myrtles, for instance, that stay smaller, at least for a long time.

Alternately, you could try to perform "proper" reduction cuts, if there is sufficient branching at lower levels. One downside to doing this is that you will have to maintain a regular pruning schedule, because the tree is going to want to regrow to it's natural height. You may also have a problem with lots of root suckers appearing in response to significant pruning. Reduction cuts (rather than the crape-murder type heading cuts) will somewhat reduce chances of rot but certainly don't eliminate the possibility.

A third option is to cut the tree down to just above ground level and allow it to resprout. If you do that, you'll be faced with frequent sucker removal (if you want to limit the amount of trunks) for at least a couple of years AND the ongoing need for close attention to pruning. Another disadvantage of this method is the likelihood of long floppy trunks, due to the rapid regrowth following coppicing. You'd probably need to stake or tie the trunks for at least the first couple of years.

Removal/replacement is probably the less labor-intensive option.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:28PM
jeeper55(7)

First i will try to get a picture on here when the weather changes. It is my fault for under estimating the size and height of it. i didn't mention it also only blooms sparingly on the top limbs. i know if i take it out i am going to miss the shade, it on the south side next to my deck.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Trimming a ficus tree
I saw an ad online of someone locally selling their...
L A
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™