Snow Blower Tire Diameter for Incline

edge(6a)October 12, 2012

I am looking at two stage snow blowers and I have a driveway with a 12 degree incline , which breaks to level halfway up. Sometimes we get wet heavy snow. How much of an difference in traction would I see on snow blowers with a 13 in vs 15 in diameter tire. I realized that tire width lugs, and compound etc may make a difference in traction. But will the 15 inch tire be much better in traction than a 13 given they were about the same quality and design?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

I think the 15's will do better w/ your slope. I'll also advise using chains.
Mike

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 10:50PM
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

Sure more tire width helps, but a heavy wet snow is gonna push back just the same. I would look to oversize the unit, for your length of driveway.

My drive is 500 feet, some incline, but not 12 degrees. Have a 1333 Yardman, 6 forwards, 2 reverses. I use them all. Some people say Yardman is cheapo. Yeah, but I don't beat it like a rug. Bought this one in 2001. Works great. Also, NEVER stop your snowblower with an auger full of wet snow. Sure to bust the belt. Been there, done that.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 6:25AM
exmar

Definitely get tire chains, you can google them and order online a lot cheaper than buyng from the dealer. Loading the tires wouldn't make a lot of difference as all your weight is already sitting on the axle IMHO. Also, going downhill take a "full bite" and on the return trip take a "lesser bite" depending on conditiions.

I don't think tire diameter really works into it unless it means a bigger machine, width=traction particuarly with chains.

If you've never had a blower, do you have a place to park it "inside?" Putting it inside where it's above freezing occasionally really helps, it melts the snow, ice, "salty mush" and keeps you and the machine much happier. If you park one with all that wet stuff inside, overnight it'll freeze, effectively freezing all the moving parts. A 60W trouble light turned on and put down the chute helps a lot. A lot of folks swear by water dispersal sprays like WD-40 before and after use, I just "melted them down" periodically.

Good luck,

Ev

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 2:44PM
ewalk

I agree with Exmar within snow blower usage the marginal difference in tread path between 13" and 15" would be insignificant . Chain addition is the way to go within your application , if your were talking snowplowing (truck) then tire tread style and width would more of an issue.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™