How do poisonous plants break down in compost?

Katxena(z7 MD)May 27, 2008

I'm very new to composting, and I use a homemade garbage bin. It seems to be going well so far. I have not harvested any compost yet, but it is breaking down nicely.

My question is about poisonous plants like String of Pearls or Milkweed. I assume that these plants break down like any others in compost, but do the poisonous components also break down completely?

I'm not planning on eating my compost! But I do use it in my veggie garden, so I want to make sure I don't end up poisoning my veggies (or by extension, myself).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bcomplx1(6)

The compounds that make the plants inedible or poisonous break down in the compost, and they can't be taken up by other plants anyway. The only plant I'd be careful with is poison ivy, because the woody parts take a long time to decompose.

Mostly plants use toxins to keep herbivores like us from eating them -- unless we can help with seed distribution. Once the plants are dead, they have no further need for chemical defenses, which nature cleans up as part of the decomposition process.

It's a good question!

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 1:33PM
Katxena(z7 MD)

Thanks. I'm glad to know I don't have to separate these kinds of plants out from the rest of my compost!

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 6:16PM
scausey(z6/7 MD)

I wanted to grow some castor bean plants (source for ricin)for quick shade and did a lot of research on them, as they are poisonous. Many sites I found said "do not put castor bean plants in the compost pile, as it will poison your compost." That said, I don't think milkweed would cause any problems. Susan

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
Soil Test Report questions-please help.
Hello all you kind folks on this site. I have received...
allyn12
Seeking help/tips for a raised bed that's out of control with weeds...
Hi there, I have a raised bed garden. 3 years ago,...
toomanyaccounts
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™