watering seeds/seedlings from below?

jardinerowaFebruary 3, 2013

Hey all,

Can anyone help me out with watering from below. I know it's a good idea for seeds and seedlings but I have such a hard time with it. Either I put a small container in a tray with water and it seems to never suck up water to the top, or I put too much water in the tray and it sucks so much up before there are puddles on the top of the pot. Is there a rule of how many inches of water in a tray compared what size pot you use?
I don't need to use bottom watering for everything but for seeds that are so tiny that I don't want to get them washed away, I would prefer that method. Also for seedlings with leaves close to the soil, the bottom-watering method should work better.
Thanks!

Z

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

z,

I don't believe there is any general rule for this sort of thing. You may ask this question in various forums where these types of concerns are common like the Container, Vegetable, Flower and anything grown from seed forums. The only thing I know about this sort of thing is one) the water behaves different in different types of soil Clayey versus Sandy) and 2)that watering from the bottom may dislodge the seed and may damage very tender roots from seedlings. I do use wicking from the bottom into containers via roping in tomatoe container gardening. GL Aloha

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
roots in pipe
Hi, I am new to this forum. I live in Idaho and we...
atstephens9
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™