Suggestions for hardy white or yellow roses

jbrickmMay 4, 2010

My wife and I are clearing an area of the yard to the side of our house for a flower bed. It's about 8 ft by 5 ft.

My wife wants to plant Yellow and/or White roses in that area. She'd like fragrant roses, that can be good cut flowers for decorations. We'd like shrub roses, not climbers. We have Red and Pink Knockout Roses in the front yard, BTW but they are not fragrant.

Can anyone suggest hardy, disease/fungus resistant roses that can fit the bill?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryann_va(z7 VA)

Marianne - Paul Barden gallica. Fragrant - yes. Whitish - yes (creamy white with pink/yellow tinges in my garden). Healthy - yes (zone 7). Once-bloomer - yes, but glorious in bloom. Mine 2 are about 5' x 5'.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 12:56PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Can't think of a yellow/white shrub that fits your criteria right off the top of my head, but the hybrid tea Elina does--other than the fact that it is not a shrub. Elina is mellow yellow in the center and creamy white around the outer edges--just luscious! Great fragrance, good disease-resistance, and would make a great cut flower. I adore my Elinas!

Kate

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 2:20PM
york_rose

Do these roses need to rebloom throughout the summer, or is it okay if they just bloom the once in spring or late spring?

How tall & wide were you looking for?

Also there's zone 7 and there's zone 7. What region of the country do you live in?

The answers to all three questions will dramatically affect the rose choices available to you.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 5:50PM
ceterum

My guess is if someone wants roses for cutting, he/she does not want once bloomers. "Shrub" here is used as opposed to climbers, so it can be HTs, floribundas, grandifloras, Austins, Bucks, etc.
But it is important to know if that zone 7 is on the east or on the west coast.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 6:39PM
athenainwi

I'll recommend Moondance, but I spray so I don't know about disease resistance. Moondance blooms well, smells fruity, and while it doesn't last a long time in a vase, you can always cut more.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 7:20PM
jbrickm

Thanks everyone. We're the Atlanta, Ga area.

By shrub, I meant roses which are not climbers. I should have been more precise :)

Also, we'd like repeat bloomers.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 11:00PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Buck roses:
Silver Shadows (white)
Prairie Harvest (Yellow)

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 12:02AM
percystash

Hi,

Perhaps the Damask garden roses. You can get types that bloom in summer and in fall to keep you going. They have a strong fragrance although can be a bit thorny.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 5:26AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

For Atlanta, given the severe blacksot pressure,the best bets would be Prairie Harvest, Irish Hope, and maybe Elina. These are all the same light yellow. See HelpMeFind.com.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 8:48AM
dmny(z7 NY)

For a yellow you might want to consider the Kordes floribunda 'Sunsprite'.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 9:59AM
new2rosesz9cal

Sunsprite is awesome! Beautiful full yellow blooms! Mine is in its first year but is doing very well! Not much blackspot here in the Valley, though!

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 11:12PM
ceterum

I second Prairie Star, Irish Hope and Elina. Prairie Harvest is a bit stronger yellow, I thinkalso. I woould also recommend Tshaikovski if you can find it- these are all pale yellow roses and good for cutting. All are very healthy, no spray roses in my NC coastal garden.

White is more difficult. I just planted Pope John Paul II (own root) from Jackson and Perkins, because of the WOW's!! on the forum but I have no personal evaluation of this rose yet. Paloma Blanca is supposed to be an excellent white rose (also from G. Buck) but as far as I know only Heirloom has a virus free clone. I just got mine from them, so we will see. Besides, I would not recommend a novice gardener to start with a small band. Garden Party comes to mind with better than average disease resistance.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:49PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Paloma Blanca is not very fragrant. Silver Shadows is very fragrant. Folksinger is similar to Prairie Harvest.
Madame Paule Massad is yellowish.
Jude the Obscure is a very fragrant yellow.
France Info is a yellow Delbard rose.
These are all available at Roses Unlimited in SC

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
Westerland
Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better...
lynnette
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Fragrant drift roses.. Do they exist?
Stumbled upon some drift roses the other day and I...
DisplacedClevelander
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™