Rose Woes

MisterSHOMay 3, 2012

I'm starting to worry about my rose bush. It's been wonderful for each of the last four years and this year it doesn't look good. The branches are green ... but any new leaves are already dying. It hasn't been an overly cold spring here in Mass, and the winter was mild. Any thoughts?! I'm stressing :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
t-bred(5)

Sorry to say but it doesn't look very promising. I'm sure the experts will chime in here, but I would suggest cutting all the canes back to an outward facing node at about 6 inches tall. Try a good shot of fertilizer and water it in well. Good luck! (what type of bush is it? That may help with diagnosis)

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:48PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

I'd cut about 1/2 of the bush back and give it a 1/2 solution of fish fert. every 2 weeks for 6 weeks and see what happens. Keep it moist but don't drown it.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 3:17PM
aegis1000

It looks like it got hit by frost/cold temps. after it had leafed out.

My roses experienced a lesser degree of this, and though they are leafing out well, the blooms are rather spoiled.

Fortunately, I found a potted Gene Boerner at a local Lowes, planted it about 1 week ago, and it looks great.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:04PM
seil zone 6b MI

I agree with both Ken and aegis. It does look like frost bite and you should prune it back some. Take out all the dead wood first, then any canes that cross or rub. Next remove any really spindly canes, smaller than a pencil. What's left prune down by 1/3. Keep it watered and feed it some organics like fish emulsion and then be patient.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Osiria rose - slow grower?
Does anyone else have an Osiria? Mine is fairly new...
HollyKline
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™