Geranium 'Dragon Heart'

Ispahan Zone6a ChicagoJune 9, 2014

For several years, I have hesitated to plant Geranium 'Dragon Heart' since I have miserable luck with most descendants of Geranium psilostemon. 'Patricia', 'Anne Thomson', 'Ann Folkard', 'Sandrine' and G. psilostemon have all promptly died for me, never even managing to bloom before they unceremoniously keeled over. Only 'Tiny Monster' has thrived for me, no doubt due to its very strong G. sanguineum influence.

But this year I took a chance on 'Dragon Heart', a seedling of the pathetic (in my climate) 'Anne Thomson'. I planted three of them this spring and, so far, they have been stellar, already stretching out vigorous, weaving branches and forming flower buds. The first blooms opened this weekend and they are HUGE and a striking, velvety, deep magenta-red color that is perfect for my garden.

Anyone else growing this plant? Any comments on winter hardiness, heat tolerance and other quirks will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Mine was planted a couple of years ago (in part shade). It is still alive and growing, but not overly vigorous so far. I will give it more time. I also have two plants of 'Sabani" which have been more vigorous for me.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:18AM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Thanks, ontnative! Mine are in full sun in newly amended soil, so I hope that will be enough for the plants to maintain vigor. Your comment does make me concerned, though, that it might lack vigor in cold winter climates. Time will tell. 'Sabani Blue' looks like it is a nice one! :-)

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 1:00PM
Campanula UK Z8

It is a smasher, isn't it? I also have Red Admiral, an even taller version. Cannot recall whether it sets seeds (Red Admiral must because I have half a dozen of them) but I think it will divide rather well (unlike Rozanne, which took a few years before I could get the spade and saw out). The Orkney Islands are practically in the arctic circle (not really, but it feel like it) so I think anything out of Alan Bremner's breeding programme should have good vigour (I am looking at Storm Chaser and Extravaganza this year). Shame Patricia was a bit of a duffer - it has been a good performer for me.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 6:46AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Now I'm going to have to look for that one. And I remembered why I was so fascinated with the garden I saw that was a collection of Cranesbills. Because they grow well in part sun. Which is what I have a lot of. Greatâ¦a new little collection may be developing. :-)

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 7:15AM
illinoisdoglover(z5IL)

Could you please post a picture? I would love to see these geraniums. I have my white alba in full sun along with Max Frei.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Tall Verbena
Having finally put a name to the lanky 3' tall plant...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
true pink or purple oriental poppies
Hi, I've tried to grow pink and purple oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
hhibiscus propagation
how much time it takes for rooting airlayering of Hibiscus...
prasadmbd
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™