BR-340 Leaf Blower question

w0slOctober 30, 2010

I have a Stihl BR-340 leaf blower and have had what appears to be a carburetor problem. Fuel is getting to the carb, new spark plug, etc. It starts but runs a bit rough. The instructions in the owner's manual are not clear on making adjustments to the Low Speed (L) adjustment screw or even whether it takes a special tool to make the adjustment. The manual just states, "Carry out standard setting on the low speed screw." What the heck does this mean. It is not described anywhere in the manual. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

W0: Some of Stihls carbs have limiter caps , others welch plugs limiting only adjustment of the High Speed and Idle Screws. Hopefully your unit has no restriction within these adjustments. My advice would be to remove both Hi & Lo jets and spray carb cleaner within the orifices. Also add some concentrated carb cleaner within fresh fuel approx 2 ounces. Let mixture sit 20 minutes then replace the jets and turn in the jets until they bottom (gentley) then turn both out 1-1/4 turns . Choke the carb and attempt starting as usual . Once you have it started keep it running until the saw will run without choke . Once warmed up adjust the low speed in or out till it will accelerate without hesitation . As for the Hi speed same procedure , normally I turn the screw counter clock wise to around 1-1/2 turns
at WOT until it begins to diesel or gallop then turn it in )leaner) just till it clears out . Once all this has been done you can set your idle speed to your liking . I usually set mine a little high to assist with Cold Starting and Idle . Remember any adjustments (Hi or Low) normally require readjustment to the Idle setting .

Note: Just a further note of info always ensure your fuel tank is full and your air cleaner clean before attempting any carb adjustments ...E .

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
w0sl

Thanks E,

My leaf blower has both the Hi and Lo adjustments limited to only a quarter turn by plastic plugs so I can't remove them. It appears that the plugs are plastic with a screw driver slot in them and a small hole in the middle. I was afraid to try to force them past the stop, thinking there must be a way of removing them without breaking them. Do you know if this is possible?

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
IS it ME ? OR is this site/Forum Gone in hibernation?
This used to be such an informative and active site!!...
bertman_gw
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™