irrigation valve not moving to next zone

GeelieMarch 26, 2013

Our residence has a Hydrotek 6000 zone indexing valve that has worked great for 20 years, but now is reluctant to change zones. I took off the top of the valve, cleaned it all out, cleaned out the vacuum valve; I didn't see any broken parts or obvious problems, but this did not fix the problem. It still won't move to the next zone. What should I check or do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

Gee,

Q: What do I do if my valve doesn't change or cycle to the next zone or outlet?

A: This happens when the stem and disk assembly is not rotating when the water flow is turned OFF and then back ON.

Suggested solutions:

1.) Make sure there is no debris inside the cam. Clean and carefully reinstall the cam.

2.) If fewer than the maximum number of outlets are being used, check the installation of the cam. Ensure that the stem and disk assembly is not being held down by an improperly installed cam.

3.) Remove the valve top and check for proper movement of the stem and disk assembly. Check for and remove any debris or foreign objects that may jam or retard the movement of the disk.

4.) Check for freedom of movement of stem and disk assembly up and down over the center pin in bottom of valve. Scale deposits may build up on the pin and hold stem and disk assembly down. Clean pin and again check for freedom of movement.

5.) Be sure that all operating outlets are not capped and that the flow to operating zones is not restricted in any manner.
This would cause pressure to build up in the valve and lock the stem and disk assembly in the down position.

6.) The backflow of water from uphill lines may be preventing the valve from cycling properly. This can happen when the valve is placed too far below an elevated irrigation line. If the valve cannot be placed close to the high point of the system, a check valve should be installed near the valve in the outlet line that runs uphill from the valve.
# 4 seems the most likely problem after 20 years. If it can't be fixed. Probably time to replace it with a new one. Aloha

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Garden not close to water source. Ideas?
My garden is about 400-500 feet from the closest water...
zrodimel
rainbird esp-rzx controller problem
After two summers of working normally, this year the...
MikeSanderson
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
roots in pipe
Hi, I am new to this forum. I live in Idaho and we...
atstephens9
Continuous Loop Dripline
While watching a YouTube video on drip line installation,...
raymondo17
Sponsored Products
Rain Chain Storage Boxes
$54.99 | Dot & Bo
English Style Polished Copper Watering Can
Signature Hardware
Orbit Compact Adjustable Pistol Grip Nozzle - 1403-8327
$21.99 | Hayneedle
GAML1 Copper Mushroom Pathlyte with Mounting Stake
Lightology
10' Polyurethane Leader Hose
$29.50 | FRONTGATE