articulating hedge trimmer vs. brushcutter

herzOctober 22, 2010

i have a couple of acres that require periodic clearing of goldenrod and other invasive plants. i have a giant vac field and brush mower that does a great rough cut, but i always have to follow up with a trimmer/brush cutter in the hard to reach places, as well as where the land is too uneven to run the brush hog.

a string trimmer even with a .105 line can be tiresome, replacing line periodically, and i dont like using the brush saw blade on the trimmer, as it seems it doesn't do a good job on the tall grass.

would anyone recommend using an articulating hedge trimmer, such as the echo pas attachment instead? it seems like it would work well for tall weeds and grass, and little saplings that are no thicker than a hedge, much like a sickle bar on a tractor.

thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yungman

Maybe you should look into these:

http://www.redmax.com/node3936.aspx?nid=158997

http://www.maruyama-us.com/products/type.aspx?id=130&ekmensel=c580fa7b_16_24_btnlink

http://www.maruyama-us.com/uploadedFiles/Maruyama_US/Support/Specification_Sheets/NMC-ATTACHMENTS.pdf

I have no experience with these reciplicators, but I can tell you the articulate hedge trimmer is not it. They are too delicate for that. I would say Maruyama might be better because the Redmax 2401 engine is known to be very very cold nature, hard to start and takes forever to warmup. If you get the 30cc Maruyama power head, you can have option to get more attachment and it is very powerful.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 9:45PM
fcarp63

I have gone the route you are asking about it it works great! Early last year I got a closeout package deal on a Deere commercial split-boom trimmer and one of the atachments I bought was the articulating trimmer to clear thorny stuff like wild roses, goldenrod, and other heavy weeds and grass that was too much for a string trimmer. It works great- definately not "too delicate".. the only issue is that it gets heavy using it down low becasue the ehad is long and the balance ends up being off a little (bottom heavy) using it close to the ground. But since I only do this 2X per year it's not a big deal.

Another big advantage is that it doesn't "throw" the cut material like a brush or string trimmer does - everything just lays down after you cut it. You don't end up wearing everything you cut either!

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed on this Site
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed...
loger_gw
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
New Ryobi S430 engine dies on full throttle
Just bought a new Ryobi straight shaft 4 Cycle S430...
losrubios
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering sewer line?
What’s a good safe cure to stop or slow root entering...
loger_gw
Sponsored Products
Tolomeo Mega Floor Lamp by Artemide
$1,145.00 | Lumens
Trays Bookcase by Kartell
$2,490.00 | Lumens
Clayton Brushed Steel Four-Light Bath Fixture
$218.70 | Bellacor
Mac Motion Oslo Chocolate (Brown) Top Grain Leather Recliner
Beyond Stores
Estiluz | P-1139L LED Floor Lamp
YLighting