Advice on irrigation planning/installation

peachymomo(Ca 8)March 14, 2013

My biggest goal this year is to get an irrigation system installed to water my small home orchard, vineyard, berry patch, large veggy garden, and various flower gardens. I would like a system with zones to water the different areas so that they all have enough water without using more than necessary, any advice on how best to achieve this?

Do you think it would be possible for me to make one myself with the help of my (very handy) boyfriend? Or should I bite the bullet and hire a professional? There is a local landscape architect whose website says that they specialize in zoned irrigation systems to deliver water in the most efficient way possible, which sounds great to me. The third option is my neighbor, he is a handyman who does all sorts of odd jobs and who happens to have a great veggy garden and home orchard all irrigated by a system he installed himself.

I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I am more interested in getting a good system that will work well for many years than saving money in the short term. So, what should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

peach,

If this is a money making operation and is large enough, go the professional route. If there installation or product problems, they will fix them. I recommend a licensed contractor and get at least three bids. If you hire a landscape designer that will provide you a plan to go out to bid with, see if he can oversee the work quality for you. Make sure he is independent from any of the bidders. Otherwise we can help you get there but there is no guarantee when things don't turn out as expected. In any case, find out your water source pressure and flow rate. That info will be needed in any case. JMHO & GL. Aloha

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
raymondo17
irrigation advice needed....
I have absolutely no experience with irrigation other...
discojo
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Fertigation help
ok well not new to gardening or growing things as i...
bigpuddin43
No battery watering system for small garden: recommendations
Can anyone recommends a watering system that isn't...
Justin Mettam
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Costa Mesa 56 in. Mediterranean Bronze Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Brielle Antique Brass 12" Wide Crystal Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Oil-Rubbed Bronze Involution Ceiling Fan
$269.99 | zulily
24" Copper Towel Bar
$68.00 | PLFixtures
Charles Grande Loveseat in Black
$749.00 | LexMod