'Tibouchina' Rescue

kaylanw(Florida - 9B)March 31, 2014

I purchased a tibouchina tree from Old Time Pottery about 5 days ago. It was discounted to $1 and was clearly very dried out, as were most of their plants. I am new to gardening and decided to buy it to see if I could save it. When I researched tibouchinas I got really excited because they look so beautiful but I'm not sure what my next steps should be. The soil was completely dried out so Wednesday night I watered it until water ran out the drain holes. I repeated this on Thursday night. It has since retained its water the soil is moist but not too soggy. I have it placed to the side of an east-facing window so that it gets some light but not an overwhelming amount. My concern is that it still looks very "dusty"/muted in color. Since I bought it, there are several buds that look to me like they are ready to emerge but there has been no blooming yet. I guess my main question is should I wait and see if it blooms or should I prune it back so that new growth/buds will grow. Thanks for any information you can give me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

at this point...

you wait an see if it buds out ...

do NOT fertilize it.. it is not hungry.. it is stressed ...

keep it properly watered.. dont drown it with too much love ...

in a few months.. if it leafs out .... then we can prune off dead stuff ...

by fall we might be able to start some training via pruning.. to get it back in shape ..

and i highly recommend that you get a good plant to learn with [any type] .... i always want to encourage peeps new to gardening.. and get frustrated when they start with some project.. that most of us would not try ... since the odds are so against us ...

just remember.. unlike a lot of houseplants.. trees do not like to be heavily watered ... but for sure.. never as dry as you found it ... tree roots rot when kept too damp ....

the odds are low.. but dont give up.. if you fail ... but do try some easier stuff ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 6:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaylanw(Florida - 9B)

Thanks for the info & encouragement, Ken. I have purchased and been gifted several other plants that are in good shape, I guess I just felt up for a challenge with this one and couldn't pass it by for $1. I'm not the most patient person by nature, so that's the hard part :)

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Nutmeg Hickory
Anyone here growing this species? I received one that's...
alabamatreehugger
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™