Yet another yellow leaves question please with pics

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)May 22, 2013

This is my Livin Easy rose I've had planted now for a couple of years. The rose did great this spring with loads of new leaves and now has loads of buds, but...

now the leaves are yellowing and falling off! It seems to be centered in the "interior" regions of the bush from bottom to mid range.

The rose is on the northern side of my house but gets plenty of sun all day from about 10 am till about 6 or 7 pm.

I did fertilize it this spring with about 2 tbsp. of soil acidifier, a cup of bloodmeal, and a cup of muriate of potash (would have rather had potassium sulfate but couldn't find any). I did have a soil test done last year that indicated the need for potash.

Last week I did spray with just Bayer Disease control (not the 3 in 1 or 2 in 1).

It has been hot here with temps in the mid 80's so I have been keeping it watered via hose, but maybe not enough?

I am clueless as to why a perfectly healthy looking rose would start doing this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Here's another couple of pics...

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:27PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

sorry about any blur!

This post was edited by kentstar on Wed, May 22, 13 at 12:29

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:28PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Often roses pull the plug on unproductive interior leaves that don't get sunlight. Also you may have leaves that overwintered or came out too early and got slightly damaged by cold. These normally die around mid-spring. These cruddy old leaves often get fungal spots because the plant is not trying to protect them.

A second thought, if they are all stemming from a single cane, there is something wrong with the cane.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 1:01PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Thanks michealg! We did have a couple of days of a freeze warning a couple weeks ago. I never thought of that. Hmmm.. could be freeze damage.

I will look closer at the canes tomorrow when I am off too and see if there is any cane problem but I think it may be freeze damage.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 1:06PM
seil zone 6b MI

I think Michael has nailed it. Check the cane for cold damage. In the center picture I do think I see a cane that looks very dark and may have some freeze damage. Otherwise it's just shedding unwanted leaves.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 1:15PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Well, I took a closer look as best I could at my rose and didn't see any damaged canes, and I also noticed as I walked around the garden that all my roses seem to be doing this to some degree. Now, I don't have but 5 roses (small yard) but all of them are, and nothing else, no other perennials, annuals etc. In my other garden bed where the rest of the roses are, they are doing this with just a few leaves here and there. It doesn't seem to be concentrated near the bottom or top but throughout the interiors of the bushes.
I've got William Baffin, Westerland, Livin Easy, Pretty Jessica, and a mini rose Sleeping Beauty.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 11:27AM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Hi Kentstar,

Just wondering how your Livin Easy is doing in Ohio?
I yanked the LE I had out as it was not disease resistant at all here... Leaves all fell off... :(
I yanked out Outta The Blue also for same reason...
Since we are probably only 5-6 hrs away from each other I was just sitting here wondering..lol

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 3:47PM
greentiger87

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I've had this same problem with Livin Easy. It did beautifully the first few years I had it, but the last three years has gotten inexplicably yellow leaves that don't match any disease or nutrient deficiency I can find. Still flowers like crazy though, just the bush as a whole looks a little ugly.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Do growing conditions affect fragrance *types* in your experience
... I mean like making a clove-smelling rose smell...
laura242424
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™