Any thoughts on DA Jubilee Celebration?

Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)May 18, 2012

While looking at a nursery yesterday I came across a few David Austin Jubilee Celebrations on half price sale, for $20 I could not say no..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerome(z9 CA)

Only been in the gardens here for about 3 months, planted as bare roots in February. Great rose so far. The flowers are so beautiful. I like it a lot. Hope it works well for you too.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 12:59PM
stlgal(south z5)

It is a very good rose here, lovely regular flushes of bloom and relatively healthy. Still a short bush (2 feet) in its second year. The flowers are a beautiful unusual blend of apricot/orange/pink and the fragrance is very strong and a bit unusual for DAs, a mix of their fruity and myrrh scents, which is quite nice. Its a winner

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 1:09PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I've had Jubilee Celebration for 5-6 years now, and it has never been a vigorous plant. In fact, it is rather wimpy. The catalog says it will grow to about 4 ft (if I remember correctly)--mine just barely passed the 3 ft mark after 4-5 years and isn't much over it even now. In other words, it stayed around 2 ft for its first three years and has struggled to get much over that in the last year or two.

It also isn't as disease-resistant as I would have wished--but maybe that has something to do with its overall wimpishness. It just is not a strong, thriving, healthy plant.

That said, I won't get rid of it. The blooms are so full and lovely. Just a couple weeks ago I supplied a very big rose bouquet for a retirement reception at work. Had as many different roses stuck in there as I could squeeze in--which includes at least 5 or 6 different David Austins. The only rose the guests repeatedly asked me about was Jubilee Celebration. They thought that blend of pink/apricot/salmon/yellow was the most beautiful color combination they had ever seen. She was definitely the star of the collection.

I hope your JC has more vigor and disease-resistance than mine does cuz it is such a lovely rose. Good luck.

Kate

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 2:35PM
wanttogarden(USDA 9b, Sunset 15, N. Calif.)

I have 4 of them. While 2 of them are smallish, the other two are 3-4 feet high and well branched and bushy. They bloom in relatively alot in flushes. They are my second best to Christopher Marlowe. BTW, mine are own root and I had them for 5-6 years.

FJ

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 4:42PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Here it blooms constantly. Foliage is somewhat sparse, growth habit somewhat open to about 3x3'; planting in a triangle of 3 for better shrubbiness would improve landscape appearance. It does not like reflected heat or too much heat in general. It should do well in 24. Pretty good fragrance.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™